Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a early Nova

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default LS1 in a early Nova

What does it take to put an LS1 in a early Nova (62-67), with the stock style suspension?

I would think if you moved the engine as far back as possible, and used a modified pan if need be, it would clear the steering linkage.
Old 04-06-2004 | 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

setting the motor back is easy since the mounts on the LS1 are further forward on the block, the motor will automatically sit about 3inches than a standard small block.
up at the top you there is a thread that everyone posted up what they did swaps, i can't remember the persons handle, but he id the first gen x-body swap.

later
tim
Old 04-10-2004 | 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slammed'99
What does it take to put an LS1 in a early Nova (62-67), with the stock style suspension?

I would think if you moved the engine as far back as possible, and used a modified pan if need be, it would clear the steering linkage.
Before installing LS1 into my 79 elcamino I measured width of motor compared to small block and the LS1 was (best memory) 2 3/4" wider. I have a 67 nova with a 406 fuel injected small block. Anything is possible but just don't think it will have enough room between shock towers to ever get an exhaust system on it not counting the brake booster. I really like the LS1 and down the road may change my front end over to an aftermarket one and go that route. My stock front end has been modified to coilovers and front steer with s-10 spindles so for now I am leaving it as is.
Rodney
Old 04-10-2004 | 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.

What did you have to do to convert your '67 to front steer using the S-10 spindles? What steering box are you using, and how did it mount? Do you have any pictures?

I'd like to convert one of these to front steer, and then ad a rack and pinion.

I don't like the rear steer for oil pan clearance issues, and the stock style power steering set up is way old school, and expensive to duplicate on a non power steering car.
Old 04-10-2004 | 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slammed'99
Thanks for the info.

What did you have to do to convert your '67 to front steer using the S-10 spindles? What steering box are you using, and how did it mount? Do you have any pictures?

I'd like to convert one of these to front steer, and then ad a rack and pinion.

I don't like the rear steer for oil pan clearance issues, and the stock style power steering set up is way old school, and expensive to duplicate on a non power steering car.
I put power rack&pinion, made a crossmember that went in between the motor mounts and bolted the rack to it. Had to ream the holes in the steering arms to match the taper of the ford tie rods. Also put coilovers on the car mounted in the stock location. The bottom ball joints have to be changed. The top ones work with the spindles.
Rodney
Old 04-10-2004 | 10:50 PM
On The Tree

You can probably use a GTO oil pan, which is front sump and it should clear all the linkage with little to no modification. Your biggest issue on the first-gen is going to be exhaust. You will likely have to make your own headers, or be forced to use some combination of stock manifolds.

Although, there are some BIG-block headers made for engine swaps (fenderwells) perhaps those can be modified by changing the flange and slap them on the LS1???
Old 04-12-2004 | 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rod G
I put power rack&pinion, made a crossmember that went in between the motor mounts and bolted the rack to it. Had to ream the holes in the steering arms to match the taper of the ford tie rods. Also put coilovers on the car mounted in the stock location. The bottom ball joints have to be changed. The top ones work with the spindles.
Rodney
Rod, sounds like a cool set up. I would'nt want to ditch it either if I was you. Any pics?

Quick Reply: LS1 in a early Nova