Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 ls with 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 ls with 700r4

I'm going to be running my 700r4 with my 5.3. I have a drive by cable ls6 intake manifold. What do need to make this work? Which flywheel do I need? Is there a cable and/or bracket kit for the throttle cable and throttle pressure cable for the trans? Also would like my cruise control to still work which is also cable driven. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM

Bump. A little knowledge please
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Do yourself a favor scrap that dinosaur and put a 4L60E in it. They are a dime a dozen these days. The reliability over the older 700's is 2 fold and everything will work correctly. Being a 5.3 the harness and pcm are already ready to run the newer electronic tranny. The only really good 700's are the 87-92's because they had all the improvements.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (09-07-2022)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Check bowtieoverdrives.com for a TV cable setup that's designed for the LS motors. I'm helping a friend with a 3rd gen LS swap and that is what we are using.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bodiedburban
I'm going to be running my 700r4 with my 5.3. I have a drive by cable ls6 intake manifold. What do need to make this work? Which flywheel do I need? Is there a cable and/or bracket kit for the throttle cable and throttle pressure cable for the trans? Also would like my cruise control to still work which is also cable driven. Thanks in advance!
You need the dished flex plate and a hughs bushing/spacer. Or you could use the GM spacer and longer crank bolts. Then elongate the holes in the flex plate for the verter alittle.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:47 AM

I keep goin back and forth on my tranny choice. The main reason I wanna keep my 700 is because it has maybe 10k on it and fully built and upgraded. My next question would be can I use my factory cruise control also? I have a DBC throttle body and my cruise unit is cable driven also....
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep goin back and forth on my tranny choice. The main reason I wanna keep my 700 is because it has maybe 10k on it and fully built and upgraded. My next question would be can I use my factory cruise control also? I have a DBC throttle body and my cruise unit is cable driven also....
If you go 700r4 you would need a VSS for the CC as well as the DBC CC box. Also since the TV cable hooks to were the CC cable goes on the TB you could need to figure out how to mount it. You might need a Pnp switch as well but I don't remember off top of my head if its need 100%. Also you would need the extra parts to bolt it together.

If you went 4l60e it has a VSS already bolts right up with stock 5.3L dished flex plate. Then all you would need is the CC box that's mounted on the fire wall in the trucks. And wire it up and that's it.

The only down side to a 4l60e is it requires an electric speedo. Or run a cable X box which is $$ for a mech one or even more $$ for mech speedo tail housings.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Bo ur are a wealth of knowledge! My suburban is a 92 it has electronic speed sensor on the 700 and my cruise unit is DBC. But I keep leaning more towards a 4l60. I plan on running a stand alone harness for the engine and or trans so I guess if i go with 4l60 to use cruise control it would just be a matter of figuring out the wiring of the newer cruise unit and my factory wiring to make it work...
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I stayed with a built 700R4 and am using an aftermarket speedo that's compatible with the geared cable type of drive that came with the 700R4. My choice to go 700R4 was because I am eventually going to go with a carb style propane system and will be eliminating the computer and it's functions. But...that's just me. Got nothing against 4L60s.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at it this way, you can have the 700R4 or cruise, but not both. Unless Bowtie Overdrives started building a new setup for the TV cable, their piece will only fit the throttle body with the small side plate. It won't work on any of the newer throttle bodies. I say, get the 4L60E. You will have a better tranny that is pcm controlled and still have a place on the throttle body to connect the cruise cable.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Its cake if you are a 92 already to do a 4L60E make your speedo work correctly and have cruise.

You just run the vss output from the LS pcm to the speedo output coming out of the DRAC module behind the glovebox.

This lets you ditch the drac and everything is fully controlled by the LS pcm.

I wasn't trying to sound like a ***** and make you change your mind just because it's an older tranny. But when you start trying to tie everything in and you want it to work factory flawless you can't go wrong with going the newer route. But I also understand having some coin tied up in your older tranny. But since it is built it should be an easy sale.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Its cake if you are a 92 already to do a 4L60E make your speedo work correctly and have cruise.

You just run the vss output from the LS pcm to the speedo output coming out of the DRAC module behind the glovebox.

This lets you ditch the drac and everything is fully controlled by the LS pcm.

I wasn't trying to sound like a ***** and make you change your mind just because it's an older tranny. But when you start trying to tie everything in and you want it to work factory flawless you can't go wrong with going the newer route. But I also understand having some coin tied up in your older tranny. But since it is built it should be an easy sale.
I plan on running a stand alone harness so getting another tranny doesn't really matter it just sets me back a few more weeks to save that cash up. So when I order my harness do I need to specify what I plan on doing with it to keep cruise control? Also will I be able to get rid of that comp unit behind the glovebox?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes the pcm behind the glovebox will go away.

Tell whoever is building your harness you need a output signal wire from the pcm speedo output left with the wiring you have to tie into inside the cab.

Behind the glovebox you can get tach, speedo, check engine, brake switch signals, hvac request if you are keeping operational ac, and ignition to power your swap harness.

Tell them you want all of the wiring that needs to be run inside the cab to go through the factory firewall location below the puke bottle it will be neat and clean that way and you can hit all of the needed connections behind the glovebox
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Yes the pcm behind the glovebox will go away.

Tell whoever is building your harness you need a output signal wire from the pcm speedo output left with the wiring you have to tie into inside the cab.

Behind the glovebox you can get tach, speedo, check engine, brake switch signals, hvac request if you are keeping operational ac, and ignition to power your swap harness.

Tell them you want all of the wiring that needs to be run inside the cab to go through the factory firewall location below the puke bottle it will be neat and clean that way and you can hit all of the needed connections behind the glovebox
This sounds confusing so how do I know which wires to tap into on my factory harness. Yes I want all the factory stuff to work like speedo tach and ac
Old 09-01-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Your aftermarket harness should have the wires that need to be tied into the vehicle labeled.

There is a single large connector behind the glovebox that contains all the needed wiring connections you need to tie into.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Default 5.3 700r4 Hudson

Thats what I'm doing!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jojomanx
Thats what I'm doing!
LS1 intake? youll have to replace the water pump w and ls3 pump.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cruise on my 700r4, carbed though. I just used the edelbrock brackets. The 4l60e isn't much different, if anything they are more of a hassle than a 700r4. I have a 92, so maybe its a good one

Last edited by snook; 09-06-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilster
I stayed with a built 700R4 and am using an aftermarket speedo that's compatible with the geared cable type of drive that came with the 700R4. My choice to go 700R4 was because I am eventually going to go with a carb style propane system and will be eliminating the computer and it's functions. But...that's just me. Got nothing against 4L60s.
What car did you do the swap in? I need to find a transmission crossmember to use with my 700R4 and LS swap...I want to keep my 700R because it was built to handle my modded 406 sbc and installed literally weeks before my motor ate itself and I can't justify spending another $1600+ to build another trans this soon to go along with the LS swap in my 84 Firebird.

Last edited by Ozz1967; 08-21-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozz1967
What car did you do the swap in? I need to find a transmission crossmember to use with my 700R4 and LS swap...I want to keep my 700R because it was built to handle my modded 406 sbc and installed literally weeks before my motor ate itself and I can't justify spending another $1600+ to build another trans this soon to go along with the LS swap in my 84 Firebird.
Don't you already have a 700R crossmember in the car?

Quick Reply: 5.3 ls with 700r4