Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS or LM swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS or LM swap

I'm looking into swapping an LS or more than likely an LM7 motor in my third gen Firebird. I'd like to run it carb'd with no computer control. What will it take and is one of the LS or LM engines better than another for this purpose?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Wouldn't be hard to do..lots of threads on it. Carb Intake, get Headers and adapt the Trans.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
I'm looking into swapping an LS or more than likely an LM7 motor in my third gen Firebird. I'd like to run it carb'd with no computer control. What will it take and is one of the LS or LM engines better than another for this purpose?
Yous still have to have a computer to control the coil packs even with a carb MSD sells one. Or buy the front mount distributor set up for even more $$$ and have no computer.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06_GXP
What will it take and is one of the LS or LM engines better than another for this purpose?
as noted above.. MSD setup, carb intake and carb, headers and then attach to the trans of your choice..

As far as the LS or LM motors..!? the LM7 is an Iron block 5.3L and the LSx is an all aluminum engine.. depending on which one you get. LS1=5.7L, LS2=6.0l, LS3=6.2L, LS7 = 7.0L... and so on..

so. it really comes down to what you want ?... if your going FI.. an Iron block will give you more insurance due to the added pressure.. but the weight added is about 80+ lbs.. you can go with an LQ4 or LQ9 for a 6.0L iron block.

As far as the LS series, it comes down to Displacement.. more it better as far as being able to make more with less.. Torque is easier to make iwth the larger engines also.

BC

Quick Reply: LS or LM swap