Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tach inop and cam codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach inop and cam codes

Swapped an ls1 into my 3.8 camaro. Swapped v6 to z28 cluster also. Started the car with the v6 cluster in before swapping the z28 cluster. Fuel, volts, oil pressure and temp gauges all read correctly but the tach does not on either cluster. SES light is on, i'm not 100% sure the numbers, i believe its p0342 and 0343. Two codes that seem to make no sense to me, input voltage too low and voltage too high. I dont quite understand how it could be too low and too high. Sound like an internal failure in the cam sensor? The harness doesn't have the extension I've read so much about on it, as it is out of a 99 z28 so I doubt the "swap a and c" method would help anything. Any ideas guys and girls?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the cam sensor.
Most times when the tach does work it's because the cam sensor not plug up.
Check your wiring. On a '99 harness, there's a plug on the pass side intake, that comes from the pcm and goes to the cam sensor. Make sure that's plug in. I don't know why gm just didn't run the sensor straight to the pcm.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Do you know if ls1 and ls2 cam sensors are the same part number?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the LS2 sensors in the front cover? I can't remember. I know the LS3 are.
I had to switch the 2 outer wires on my LS1 wiring harness for the LS3. And extend the harness.
The LS1 had the long cam sensor in the rear of the motor.
The LS3 cam sensor is made different.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

My friend put a 6.0 in a gto a year or so ago that came with sensors. He said he doesn't remember if it was out of that motor or not. I pulled the old sensor out of my ls1 and the two look identical so I put in. Throwing a p0343, cam voltage high, but no voltage low code anymore. Still no tac though. The connecter had no extension on it though. But as I was changing the cam sensor I noticed the harness was all taped up, after untaping it appears the previous owner attempted some wire repair. It looks like the connector for the cam sensor was at one point cut off and reconnected with heat shrink butt connectors. The wires match up though, red to red, pink/blk to pink/blk and black/white to black/white. Everything I've read about the switching of wire a and wire c pertained to ls2s. Is it also the case for ls1s? I had access to alldata but not anymore so I can't even check for reference numbers or anything. The tach works with the tech 2 so I know it isn't the cluster. Any ideas?

Last edited by ASpeedingbus; 11-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: tach inop and cam codes