Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice work!!! keep it up and thanks for sharing with us
Old 11-27-2014, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Heres a shot of my rack and pinion bracket I made. I'll clean it up and make it pretty once I pull the body back off.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm following your build, keep up the good work! Any more shots of the header fitment/clearance? Looking at the same ones for mine or the hooker block huggers.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I'm following your build, keep up the good work! Any more shots of the header fitment/clearance? Looking at the same ones for mine or the hooker block huggers.
I'll get some pics, but they clear with plenty of room on either side. I'm very happy with them
Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 AM
Teching In

What motor mounts did you use and did you have to notch the crossmember?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bagsan22s
What motor mounts did you use and did you have to notch the crossmember?
I machined my owned motor mounts but there similar to the ones dirt dingo sells, and all the rest of the company's. I did not have to notch the crossmember, I used a 2002 camero oil pan part #12628771, there all over eBay for about $150ish. Comes with wedge pan and oil pick up tube. It clears nicely. I'm pulling the body off tomarrow, I'll post pics of all the clearance areas that were questioned then. Thanks for looking
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This appears to be a controversial topic. I'm told by several folks that if the motor clears the front crossmember that the angle of the driveshaft to rear will be wrong, and you can result in vibration. Have you checked that angle?

BTW, I have been told by a few that it doesn't do that

Also...I've been told that one thing that may make a difference is the mount perches: V8 and 6 Cyl engine perches are a different height. I don't recall which was higher.

Interested in your thoughts...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ewingr
This appears to be a controversial topic. I'm told by several folks that if the motor clears the front crossmember that the angle of the driveshaft to rear will be wrong, and you can result in vibration. Have you checked that angle?

BTW, I have been told by a few that it doesn't do that

Also...I've been told that one thing that may make a difference is the mount perches: V8 and 6 Cyl engine perches are a different height. I don't recall which was higher.

Interested in your thoughts...
Wow that's a new one to me. Everything looks to be on the same angle. I have several friends/people I've talked to and none have had a vibration problem, one friend even has the same setup I'm running, from the motor, to the trans, same mounts and all. His was in a 63 impala, no issues.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Here's the pic that was asked for about oil pan clearance, I used a 2002 camero oil pan part number 19212593. There all over eBay for $145 and come with the wedge pan and oil pick up tube. Both which are important and must be changed out if using a truck motor. You can see in my pic there are no issues, it all clears fine. As you may notice I had to "shim" my motor mounts about a 1/4", only because i reinforced my frame. You will not need to do this on a stock frame.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That part number in the last post is the "muscle car" pan kit. The F-body part number is in one of your other posts up above. Just confirming which one you used and is pictured. ???
Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The muscle car pan hangs down about an inch and a half and requires a lot of trimming on the frame. The 1998 - 2002 F-Body pan (complete kit available from Pace) is the best fit, doesn't hang below the cross member and lowest price I've seen. Search for PAC-8771 in google or use the link I included above.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
That part number in the last post is the "muscle car" pan kit. The F-body part number is in one of your other posts up above. Just confirming which one you used and is pictured. ???
Hmmm, now you got me wondering. lol I'll look at the pan, and grab the number off it direct. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by six1rag
Hmmm, now you got me wondering. lol I'll look at the pan, and grab the number off it direct. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks. Probably used the f-body pan as that's what everyone uses on X-frames. The truck pan cleared everything when I mocked it up, but hung low. I drove for years with a deep pan in the same chassis with a sbc and never had a problem. Car wasn't slammed though.

I would love to try one of the CTS-V pans as from looking at the pics and dimensions in the oil pan thread, it looks like it would fit okay. Doesn't hang much lower than the f-body one. I don't wanna pay for the pan and then it not fit though. lol

Probably won't be putting the LS2 (w L92 heads) in anytime soon. Almost through with the 478" W for it. Would still like to through it in there one day for longer trips.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that's a new one to me. Everything looks to be on the same angle. I have several friends/people I've talked to and none have had a vibration problem, one friend even has the same setup I'm running, from the motor, to the trans, same mounts and all. His was in a 63 impala, no issues.
It was new to me too. This is a link to a thread on this forum site on the topic.

There was also a couple posts on the topic in my build thread in Chevy Talk. You can go to this link, and then do a search for the word 'notch', and you will find the first post. (If that doesn't work due to different number of posts per page, you may try to find post number 2483830 )

I called and talked to Mark at S&P (Street and Performance), and he is building a 60. He said he used the motor mounts that they sell (naturally), and tranny mount. Said it cleared the crossmember, but to get the right angle, he had to space the tranny up 1" from normal mount position to get the angle right.

At any rate, I purchased the same pan at Pace that you did, and hoping to not notch. I don't know which motor stands I have. I do plan to check the drive shaft angle.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Thanks. Probably used the f-body pan as that's what everyone uses on X-frames. The truck pan cleared everything when I mocked it up, but hung low. I drove for years with a deep pan in the same chassis with a sbc and never had a problem. Car wasn't slammed though.

I would love to try one of the CTS-V pans as from looking at the pics and dimensions in the oil pan thread, it looks like it would fit okay. Doesn't hang much lower than the f-body one. I don't wanna pay for the pan and then it not fit though. lol

Probably won't be putting the LS2 (w L92 heads) in anytime soon. Almost through with the 478" W for it. Would still like to through it in there one day for longer trips.
I used the 19212593 pan. Cleared with no knotching the crossmember. I waterjetted my own motor mount plates and purchased polyurethane mounts off eBay. I could post info on those also if needed.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ewingr
It was new to me too. This is a link to a thread on this forum site on the topic.

There was also a couple posts on the topic in my build thread in Chevy Talk. You can go to this link, and then do a search for the word 'notch', and you will find the first post. (If that doesn't work due to different number of posts per page, you may try to find post number 2483830 )

I called and talked to Mark at S&P (Street and Performance), and he is building a 60. He said he used the motor mounts that they sell (naturally), and tranny mount. Said it cleared the crossmember, but to get the right angle, he had to space the tranny up 1" from normal mount position to get the angle right.

At any rate, I purchased the same pan at Pace that you did, and hoping to not notch. I don't know which motor stands I have. I do plan to check the drive shaft angle.
Called my buddy yesterday who did the same set up I have in his 63, no issues what so ever with vibration, and he kept the same stock angle. My guess is maybe a bad carrier bearing or out of balance drive shaft to have vibration issues. Or perhaps just a bad install. How ever the case, I feel at ease, as it was varified by a proven setup in a running car.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Called my buddy yesterday who did the same set up I have in his 63, no issues what so ever with vibration, and he kept the same stock angle. My guess is maybe a bad carrier bearing or out of balance drive shaft to have vibration issues. Or perhaps just a bad install. How ever the case, I feel at ease, as it was varified by a proven setup in a running car.
Glad to hear it.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Got rid of the pan hard bar and the banana bar. Fabricated a "y link", 2" Dom tubeing tig welded. 3/4-16 hymes at the frame. The smaller center bar between the bolts of the hymes that you see is just a jig to keep the bungs straight that I had to weld into the frame

Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Playing around with ideas for a transmission crossmember. I think this will do

Old 01-18-2015, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

The banana bar fits perfectly for a cross member haha

Quick Reply: "RELAPSE" 61 rag build