Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E36 M3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E36 M3 swap

I am very excited to have this car bought from a good friend of mine. It is a 1995 BMW M3. The engine is blown. I would like to put a ls based engine even a 5.3 or just ls1 with a t56.

I have some questions.
Who makes some nice motor mounts?
Who makes headers?
What is the best way to get everything wired up cleanly?

Any info on this swap would be great. I am going to be able to buy motor when i get my tax return.

Here are the pics

Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We have a harness for your application. Prices vary on what the actual engine/transmission combo is, but prices start at $499.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Teching In

OP, Go to Bimmerforums.com and go to the engine swaps, conversions part of the forum. There is 20 + posts and builds to look at. I'm currently putting a LS2 in a 97 m3 Sedan, so I have spent many hours going through every post. Lot of good info and probably answer most if not all of your questions. Good luck with the build.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easily my favorite Beamer! In my favorite color! That will make an awesome project. If its truely as clean as the pics...inside and out.

Heck getting that for a good price would tempt me to rebuild the motor and just DD the thing. But with a nice LS motor in there, its gonna be FUUUNNN!! More pics and keep us updated!

J.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Teching In

One of my favorite BMWs, and with my favorite wheels for 3-series! This is one of the cars I dream of doing a build on, but I'd likely lean towards an M3/4/5 being that I'd need to throw car seat(s) in the back.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmwhybrid
OP, Go to Bimmerforums.com and go to the engine swaps, conversions part of the forum. There is 20 + posts and builds to look at. I'm currently putting a LS2 in a 97 m3 Sedan, so I have spent many hours going through every post. Lot of good info and probably answer most if not all of your questions. Good luck with the build.
Thanks man. Just curious what motor mounts are you using?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

By the way guys this car was running strong all the way until 215k which is what it has now until my friend downshifted to wrong gear lol. Pretty clean for 215k.

It does need a new passanger window because somebody tried to steal it but they didnt do anything but steal the cds. Damn kids.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gc302047
Thanks man. Just curious what motor mounts are you using?
No problem. I'm using Vorshlag mounts, headers, and steering shaft. You can get a pretty good deal right now if you get their blem headers. Just google Vorshlag.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bmwhybrid
No problem. I'm using Vorshlag mounts, headers, and steering shaft. You can get a pretty good deal right now if you get their blem headers. Just google Vorshlag.
Wow just looked at the site they make some nice products but wooo those parts a pricey!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

From personal experience, get an f-body ls1/t56 dropout if you can. I am using a 5.3 and 4l60e because they were really cheap. However I did have to source an f body oil pan, car intake, bought ctsv accessory drive (similar layout to f body), rework truck harness. All stuff you wouldn't have to do with a complete dropout. Also the 4l60e doesn't fit in the trans tunnel without a lot of trans tunnel persuasion. Then I had to make my own headers since all of the commercially available ones are for a t56. Sure I'm able to do the swap for under 5k but its a lot of work and won't be finished any time soon since I still have to make the dreaded driver side header. Just my .02.
Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Wow just looked at the site they make some nice products but wooo those parts a pricey!

Yep..Nothing cheap about the swap. Gotta pay to play
Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

To save some cash you can source the steering joints and build your own steering shaft and use block hugger shorty headers (PM me for details). You have to put a third joint in the middle to clear the header. Don't be fooled, people will tell you this isn't possible. I am here to tell that it is and it works well- my car has had this setup for 4 years. I used the NASH motor and trans mounts, my own steering shaft, a mustang hydroboost, and block hugger headers. The other issue you will become very familiar with is the clearance between the drivers side valve cover and the stock brake booster. Nash motor mounts caused them to hit (hence the hydroboost). You may find others that will allow you to retain the stock booster. I have seen some people making adapter plates to use a Mercedes booster (190E I think) that may work as well. Be willing to look at every make and model for options on solving fitment issues.

For example: I decided to turbo my car. I used a passenger side truck manifold with a v-band flange on the drivers side. I can tell you that it fits when its flipped forward. I was told over an over again that NO FACTORY MANIFOLD WILL FIT. They do, you just have to be willing to figure out how.

In an N/A car I agree that its near impossible. Its really a matter of how dedicated you are and how much $ you have. My original swap was done in about 45 days and didn't cost me anywhere near the 10K everyone seems to think it will cost. The second time around (adding turbo, etc, etc) it has taken nearly 2 years and a whole bunch more money than the original build.

The best advise I can give you is this- look at every build on LS1Tech and Bimmerforums that you can. There are a ton of successfully swapped E36's. Each one has little differences that may solve a problem you are going to encounter. I see things that others have done and wish I would have done mine that way. I also see problems others had and like the way I solved the same issue on my own car (in a different way). I did not care if a part was from a specific make or model. My dad pointed something out to me when I started this project- Old school hot rodders used what ever worked. A Ford body with Chevy engine and Buick rear end, etc, etc. Make a list of what you like and start collecting parts. The swap isn't that hard if you have it planned out. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unnatrl
To save some cash you can source the steering joints and build your own steering shaft and use block hugger shorty headers (PM me for details). You have to put a third joint in the middle to clear the header. Don't be fooled, people will tell you this isn't possible. I am here to tell that it is and it works well- my car has had this setup for 4 years. I used the NASH motor and trans mounts, my own steering shaft, a mustang hydroboost, and block hugger headers. The other issue you will become very familiar with is the clearance between the drivers side valve cover and the stock brake booster. Nash motor mounts caused them to hit (hence the hydroboost). You may find others that will allow you to retain the stock booster. I have seen some people making adapter plates to use a Mercedes booster (190E I think) that may work as well. Be willing to look at every make and model for options on solving fitment issues.

For example: I decided to turbo my car. I used a passenger side truck manifold with a v-band flange on the drivers side. I can tell you that it fits when its flipped forward. I was told over an over again that NO FACTORY MANIFOLD WILL FIT. They do, you just have to be willing to figure out how.

In an N/A car I agree that its near impossible. Its really a matter of how dedicated you are and how much $ you have. My original swap was done in about 45 days and didn't cost me anywhere near the 10K everyone seems to think it will cost. The second time around (adding turbo, etc, etc) it has taken nearly 2 years and a whole bunch more money than the original build.

The best advise I can give you is this- look at every build on LS1Tech and Bimmerforums that you can. There are a ton of successfully swapped E36's. Each one has little differences that may solve a problem you are going to encounter. I see things that others have done and wish I would have done mine that way. I also see problems others had and like the way I solved the same issue on my own car (in a different way). I did not care if a part was from a specific make or model. My dad pointed something out to me when I started this project- Old school hot rodders used what ever worked. A Ford body with Chevy engine and Buick rear end, etc, etc. Make a list of what you like and start collecting parts. The swap isn't that hard if you have it planned out. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Appreciate the input man!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very excited to have this car bought from a good friend of mine. It is a 1995 BMW M3. The engine is blown. I would like to put a ls based engine even a 5.3 or just ls1 with a t56.
Have you gotten underway with the swap?

Tipsy

Quick Reply: E36 M3 swap