Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap VATS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap VATS question

Just starting on a 5.3 turbo swap in my 93 z28. I got a complete truck for free for the motor so planning on using the harness and pcm from it. My question is do I need to have VATS deleted while it is still in the running truck? Or can it be done with the harness out of the truck if I hook up power etc? I would just like to have it deleted before I get everything in the car so I can actually see if it fires up once I finish the swap!

Thanks,
Curtis
Old 02-27-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

If you're doing it your self, then it would be easier to go ahead and do it while the harness is still wired up in the truck, not that it would be any harder to do once you have the harness in your swap vehicle. But if you're going to send it off somewhere, then it doesn't really matter when it's done.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truck harness is routed completely different than the fbody harness. If your dead set on using a used harness you should try and find a lsx fbody harness and repin it. That will still be a chore, but will be FAR less work than trying to use the truck harness. Plus if done right you can make it plug and play.

We offer plug and play harnesses for your application. However, feel free to post your questions. We will help all we can.

EDIT: I completely misread your question! Working too late on some nights! As stated above, it would be much easier to flash the pcm with everything still wired into the truck!

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Last edited by BP Automotive; 02-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As Nova said, it is easier to do in the vehicle because you can just turn the key on and program right through the OBDII port. If you have the harness out you will have to provide switched power, constant power and ground on a bench and program through the OBDII port. Again, all this is moot if you are going to be sending the PCM out for tuning.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, my tuner is going to come out to my place to delete it for me, however he is busy for a couple of weeks and I was planning on pulling the motor on the weekend. I'm not really in a rush so I'll probably just wait untill he comes out! As for the f-body harness I have deffinatly been looking for a deal on one, just figured I might as well try to make a free one work first before I spend any money

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap VATS question