Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 level side to side

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 level side to side

99 Ls1 in 64 skylark. Made my own adapter plates for engine frome 3/16 steal. Small block chevy mounts and 68 chevelle frame stands. Intake and coils removed from engine. Floor is level and car is level and engine is centered in frame, but when I put a level across valve covers engine is not level. Had to space one frame mount 1/4" higher on pass side to get the engine level. Don't like that one is taller than the other but I think the engine should be level whith the car. Anyone else have this problem.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a sign that your car has frame damage at worst. Maybe it could be as simple as the mounts (the rubber) being different heights.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:36 AM
Launching!

The heads are not in the same plane across the engine, the pass side is setback from the drivers. That small amount across 18" may indicate an out of level condition. It makes sense to me you had to space the pass side higher because of this. I would try to check for level across the valley cover though you may need to use a block under your level so be sure it is square, same thickness so it does not give you a false reading. Realistically, 1/4" is not going to hurt anything, IMO.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Yes I did try a level across the valley and it was also off the same. That is one of the reasons for the post cause I wasn't sure it should be level across the heads. I realize the heads were set back one side but wasn't sure if they were the same height frome one side to the other. Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was the right thing to do. Thanks for your input fox12303.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, 1/4" is not going to make much differents.. Ask yourself, how offen are you driving on a completely flat/level surefaced road.. most roads are crowned. As you are driving down any Street/highway/freeway.. you car is usually tilled due to the crowning of the road.

BC

Quick Reply: Ls1 level side to side