Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS1Tech, which thread do I post in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1Tech, which thread do I post in?

Hello all, I'll get straight to the point. I know Forum citizens hate it when people ask hashed over questions on topics that have been covered ad nauseam and I would like to avoid that as much as possible, but I am hardcore new to the LSX swap tech and have some questions.

What thread or area should I search for these questions: Which 5.3 do I hunt for at the yard, what pcm do I get if I want to use a '98+ Trans Am interior with functioning gauges in my swap (1975 Firebird).

Thanks for any help!
James
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hagajames
Hello all, I'll get straight to the point. I know Forum citizens hate it when people ask hashed over questions on topics that have been covered ad nauseam and I would like to avoid that as much as possible, but I am hardcore new to the LSX swap tech and have some questions.

What thread or area should I search for these questions: Which 5.3 do I hunt for at the yard, what pcm do I get if I want to use a '98+ Trans Am interior with functioning gauges in my swap (1975 Firebird).

Thanks for any help!
James
eh eh eh, he said "ad nauseum". Actually, I love big words, especially Latin. Are we to assume you already have the harness and PCM? If not, I'd be looking for a 98+ trans am complete for parts...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, that was my first thought knowing it would make everything so much easier. But when I tried pricing out a wreck, I couldnt find any in my area, and here in town the engine only LS1/T56 combos are going for 3,600 without accessories or harness. The 5.3's seem to be going for under a grand fully dressed so I figured get a 5.3 pullout set, do a refresh basic rebuild and put a comp cam and a few lS1 parts on it, and then piece in the interior componets as I find them. Maybe it's all wishfull thinking and/or impossible, but that was the direction I was headed.

I know this will be a ton of work, not afraid of work, I am a body mechanic for Semi's and am no stranger to getting dirty, I just need to get educated before I buy, and then jump in! Thanks again
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't rule out the LS1 if the cash is available. All said and done, my 5.3 cost almost as much as an LS1 after I bought an intake, rails, injectors, oil pan, etc to make it fit my car. But buying it in pieces worked with my budget at the time.

I think you need a T/A BCM to work the gauges. Do some searching in this forum. I know several third gen F-body cars here use the 4th gen interior and gauges. Maybe you can adapt the information to your 75.

There is a "Where did you buy your engine" thread here also. Maybe you can find a local yard listed in there.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Cool, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: New to LS1Tech, which thread do I post in?