Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to finish wiring few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to finish wiring few ?s

alright guys need a little help/insight while im taking a brake on wiring.im doing a swap on a 93 foxbody using a 98 fbody harness and 98 fbody cluster.first problem is my odometer does not display mileage when i key on the cluster but the backlight works(worked in car was pulled from).could not having a vss hooked up cause this? seems like in the past when everything was in my camaro it would do the same with something unplugged but for the life of me i cannot remember what.second question is in regards to the fuel level sender,now this seems like it should be easy.i modified the ford sender bracket to accept the 98 fbody sensor and that portion is set upgood and the sender ohms out corectly.now when i hook up the grey 5v ref to one of the sender wires and the purple wire to the other sender wire i get no movement on the gauge in relation to the sender,it stays stuck on full.anyone have any ideas? this is how i belive it should be wired,seems like i am not getting the 5 v ref so the pcm is not reciving milliamps like it should.any help would be awesome thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Fuel gauge issue solved,any one have any input on the odometer?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

For some reason I'm thinking the Odometer data is stored in the BCM. I might be wrong...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Thats what I was thinking as well,then I looked over the wiring diagram for the cluster.98 does not have a serial data line going to the cluster.so at this point im assuming its due to no vss hooked up
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Docked Wage
For some reason I'm thinking the Odometer data is stored in the BCM. I might be wrong...
It is stored in the cluster its self.

Originally Posted by stangtrader
Thats what I was thinking as well,then I looked over the wiring diagram for the cluster.98 does not have a serial data line going to the cluster.so at this point im assuming its due to no vss hooked up
It is stored in the cluster, hook up your vss and then let us know what the out come is. (The absent VSS is your problem.)

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks bill,that pnp kit made all the wiring very simple.had a slight issue with the under dash connector for the fuel level sender but got it squared away

Quick Reply: trying to finish wiring few ?s