Sponsored by:

'89 Caprice - fuel tank for conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:01 PM
E_S
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Caprice - fuel tank for conversion

I'm about to run the new fuel lines for my 5.3 LM7 engine going into the Caprice. I'm wondering what's the best way to connect the tank to the fuel pump?

The OEM line coming from the tank is a very tiny one, I guess it'll be too small for the suction side of the pump, or what? The inlet on the pump is about 1" diameter while the tank connection is less than half of that..

Finding an injection tank from a newer vehicle here in Europe is almost impossible, so I guess I'm stuck with modifying. How?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That generation/Year of tanks was only a Carburetor car, it wasn't till 89 that they started the Fuel Injections engines.

I am not familuar with those years and tanks. Is it steel or plastic ? Is there already a intank pump ? If so. .you could try and upgraded it (and the regulator).
If not.. then I would assume that you could try some of the other non-intank convertsions. It is as simple as strapping a pump to the pickup tube and wiring it up (yeah.. i know sounds simple LOL). Or adapting a Pickup/Sender/Pump unit to the tank (would require adding the required mounting).

but give us some more info on what you got going so far.. else you are just going to get guess on what to do.. Unless someone has already done you year swap.

BC
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it is 86 or 87 v6 caprice tanks, they should have baffles in them for FI.

They are steel tanks

Or you can go with 91-96 caprice/impala ss tank which should be plastic tanks, they will work with your box caprice. You can use 90's Buick roadmaster tanks too, ones with LT1 in them. I know someone on impalass forums used one in a box caprice.

Then you just need to mod or buy new sending unit with fuel pump.

For lines you can try and removed the old fuel line, replicate it and bend up some larger hard line. Or run rubber/-AN hose from fuel rails to tank.

Could try and run hard line along the frame from front door to rear door. Then two short hose lines. Short hose from frame at rear door to tank. Then short hose from front frame by front door to fuel rails.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:06 PM
E_S
Teching In

The car is originally carb engined and it's a wagon. The tank is different on the wagon and the sedan, and finding a used wagon injection tank from a 91-96 car is close to, if not totally impossible here in Europe. I think I've seen like 3 or 4 of those cars on the road the last 10 years..

The line itself is no problem, but I suspect the carb feed line is far too small to be used as a feed line to the injection pump..
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did not know you were working with a wagon, I assumed it was an sedan or the coupe.

Correct on the original fuel line, it is far to small.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 AM
E_S
Teching In

Yeah, I guess I'll pull the tank and see if I can replace/modify the line to a 1" diameter with a hose connection, that'll match the fuel pump I'll be using.

Quick Reply: '89 Caprice - fuel tank for conversion