Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ls swap

Hello fellow members, I am new to the LS motor and I am looking for some advise. I purchased a 69 Firebird and would like to swap in a LS. What car and year would be the best option. I plan on using the entire drive train. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest any f body would work along with GTO's and even truck drivetrains. Its all about what your budget and goals are for the car. If it was my car I would try to look for a LS2 GTO drivetrain to through in.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a gto ls2 drive train would be great .but you mite find more truck driven trains available.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Depends on what type of transmission you want. The 6 speed car pullouts command much more money than an auto from a truck.

Also, read some similar swaps and see what oil pans and accessories fit the best. You may save money in the long run by getting an engine that comes with the pan or manifolds that you need.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your first gen purchase. Adding an LS/ 3rd or 4th gen engine will be a great improvement, however, you will have some work ahead of you, and, as mentioned, some choices to make based on your budget and goals for the car. Just know that it's been done before so the answers are out there. You won't come across anything that someone hasn't dealt with before in this type of swap on this board.

Also- keep in mind there is more involved to this than just the purchase of the engine. Things like fuel supply and electrical will likely need modification. You'll need an electric fan, too. Will you be using your stock subframe? If yes, plan on an oil pan swap for whichever engine you get, as these engines weren't designed for the rear steer set up on your '69. Will you be using fuel injection, or a carburator? Think about these as you plan out your budget...

The more of this you can answer, then the better meaningful recommendations we can make to help you out.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Teching In

GTO's are great way to go

Quick Reply: Best ls swap