Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGB Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did some prioritizing and know that I should install the engine and trans first. So I'm cooking up ways to install the cross member. It's designed to be cut to length, ends welded on and then bolted in if youre using an open channel frame. I was thinking about welding it straight to the small under-frame then tying it into the floor/unibody frame. However, the more I look at the existing stuff, the more I don't like it. It's very rusty, previously hacked up in places and I think too small tubing size. Most of it is 2x2", some 2x2-1/2". Pretty thin walls too. I'm thinking I should cut everything out from the firewall back and run 2x3" thick walled stuff from the back subframe forward. It's just a straight shot. Then I would tie it into the unibody perimeter channel.

Looks like this now. Taken from just under the drivers side leaf spring perch looking forward.
MGB Roadster-ap7dhcml.jpg

Here we see the remains of the previous owners attempt at tying his transmission crossmember into the under frame and unibody perimeter frame channel.

MGB Roadster-rto3hp2l.jpg

You can see the extent of the rust damage here. Just beyond the jack stand is where I would cut it to tie the new rails in.

MGB Roadster-uoninvbl.jpg
Old 08-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey any updates?

Quick Reply: MGB Roadster