Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I sent you a PM to check the new thread I put up this morning regarding this issue in more detail...I think you and everyone wanting to run the new Hooker/Holley parts with the TruTurn system will find it informative.
I did some further digging and found that the front of the sump on the Mast pan is 3/8" further back than compared to the front of the sump of the new 302-2 Holley pan...that may or not be enough to provide clearance for the TruTurn drag link bracket using the new Hooker engine mounting kit. The front of the sump of the original Holley 302-1 pan is a full 2" further back than that of the 302-2 pan, so you have the clearance for the TruTurn bracket by a mile.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Todd

Here is the cover.. Front Side..:

From the rear. I had to trim the top section off for it to get flush to the block...:

let me know if you need anything else.

BC
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bczee
Todd

Here is the cover.. Front Side..:

From the rear. I had to trim the top section off for it to get flush to the block...:

let me know if you need anything else.

BC
Thanks BC, I understand now that those are factory F-body pieces. Since compatibility with those pieces was not an intended feature of the new pan you're ability to get them to work was a stroke of good luck (and skill on your part). Knowing how much casting tooling costs, I can say for certainty that no changes to the design will be made to accommodate them in the future as it just wouldn't be cost prudent at this stage.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Todd,

Understood.. I though I would bring these up for your Knowledge Base.. and maybe it would get a update as a warning that these factory pieces would need some altering to be used with the 302-2 pan. Better to be informed in the first place.

It just takes a simple trim. that all of you LS1tech might use as well as the bolts on the pickup tube to pump.

BC
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd,

Understood.. I though I would bring these up for your Knowledge Base.. and maybe it would get a update as a warning that these factory pieces would need some altering to be used with the 302-2 pan. Better to be informed in the first place.

It just takes a simple trim. that all of you LS1tech might use as well as the bolts on the pickup tube to pump.

BC
Point taken bczee, I will pass along the message to the appropriate individual and see if they wish to make some edits to the instructions. I appreciate you taking the time to give the feedback as this is how product improvements are made.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd.. just mounted my 302-2 on my LS1 for my Chevelle.. Only two issue was as follows:

1) trying to mount the second bolt on the pickup to oil pump. I ended up using hex headed bolts. As stated before on this or some other thread. Hard to use a bolt and socket/wrench to secure the bolt for the pickup with the front cover on. Suggest you supply the correct bolts to make it easier to install the pickup tube.

2) Black plastic cover on the Driver side near the oil filter, using the F-Body covers. I had to trim the plastic for the cover to sit flat. Might just put a commend on the Installation Instructions.

Both are somewhat minor. But I thought I let you know and maybe the Research Dept can come up with a good solution and packaging.

I'll get the engine back in soon and check the clearance of the pan to steering and cross member. But right now I also have just took the Nova out for its first road test !... so I am trying to work on to projects at the same time.. !

BC
Hey bczee, I checked with the designer in the group that worked on releasing the oil pan and he told me the accessory pack for the new 302-2pan includes a small hex head bolt with an internal hex drive in the top of the bolt to allow tightening it with a hex driver...did you find such a bolt in your hardware package?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Todd No, only found the bolts for the lower baffle and the two for the bypass plate.. !

Seems to be a packing and QA issue there... ??

BC
Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd No, only found the bolts for the lower baffle and the two for the bypass plate.. !

Seems to be a packing and QA issue there... ??

BC
I'll have to check the BOM tomorrow to be sure...sometimes things like this are a QA issue and sometimes they stem from the design engineer having a brain fart when he compiles the BOM contents, like sebtarta on here can tell you I did with a few pieces of the hardware on our new 1st-gen engine mount kits. What matters in my opinion is that we pay attention and take care of the issues that customers bring to our attention. To everyone's credit here (with the exception of a few haters who troll forums looking for any opportunity to rip something or someone), your willingness to provide comprehensive feedback ultimately improves the quality of the products you get from Holley, so keep up the good work.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:55 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No wonder my ears were ringing last night! Could not sleep, thank you Todd.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll have to check the BOM tomorrow to be sure...sometimes things like this are a QA issue and sometimes they stem from the design engineer having a brain fart when he compiles the BOM contents, like sebtarta on here can tell you I did with a few pieces of the hardware on our new 1st-gen engine mount kits. What matters in my opinion is that we pay attention and take care of the issues that customers bring to our attention. To everyone's credit here (with the exception of a few haters who troll forums looking for any opportunity to rip something or someone), your willingness to provide comprehensive feedback ultimately improves the quality of the products you get from Holley, so keep up the good work.
We figured out that we had some hardware kits bagged on the shelf waiting to ship out with the next batch of new 302-2 pans and examined their contents to find all the bolts were in it...I have to assume bczee that your hardware bag somehow was shorted the two 6M x 1 x 16mm socket head cap screws that are to be included for attaching the pick-up tube to the engine.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We figured out that we had some hardware kits bagged on the shelf waiting to ship out with the next batch of new 302-2 pans and examined their contents to find all the bolts were in it...I have to assume bczee that your hardware bag somehow was shorted the two 6M x 1 x 16mm socket head cap screws that are to be included for attaching the pick-up tube to the engine.
hey Todd the allen style 6m socket head bolts are in my pan kit
Randy
Old 02-21-2014, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Todd.. just double check the box and bags. No Hex headed bolts found.. could just be a one off problem ?? I am not worried about it.. as I have bought two and installed it already.

BC
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Hi Todd, since 3rd gen novas and 1st gen camaros have the same front end then the headers should hang in the same exact position as shown in your first pic for the nova, correct?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

[IMG][/IMG]
Originally Posted by BlackHD
Hi Todd, since 3rd gen novas and 1st gen camaros have the same front end then the headers should hang in the same exact position as shown in your first pic for the nova, correct?
Yes blackHD...here's the same headers installed on a 72' Nova I have here currently that was used to prototyped the Nova specific exhaust systems we'll soon be releasing to go with the headers on your car (the 1st-gen F-body exhaust systems have already been released). The components shown are the 1-7/8" headers, which have 3" collectors, and the upcoming 3" Hooker Nova exhaust system.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Todd, any idea when or if you'll be releasing the crossmember that works with the 4l80e? 3rd gen nova.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Todd, any idea when or if you'll be releasing the crossmember that works with the 4l80e? 3rd gen nova.
The release of the 4L80e crossmember will take another 3-4 months as there is still plenty of design work that needs to take place preceding the tool building phase. I've constructed a physical prototype for use as a limit sample during the upcoming CAD design effort, but that's as far as I've gotten at this point.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Todd, if push comes to shove and I have to use a different brand crossmember are there any that you would recommend? Looking for something that would be compatible with your products. Mounts, headers...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd, if push comes to shove and I have to use a different brand crossmember are there any that you would recommend? Looking for something that would be compatible with your products. Mounts, headers...
Either the G-Force or ATS units are good from a build quality perspective, but I don't have any idea if their transmission mounting pad height and installation geometries are compatible with the fore/aft engine position provided by the new Hooker engine mount kit.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Either the G-Force or ATS units are good from a build quality perspective, but I don't have any idea if their transmission mounting pad height and installation geometries are compatible with the fore/aft engine position provided by the new Hooker engine mount kit.
Thanks Todd, crossing my fingers so that you don't encounter any major issues/delays with your crossmember.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Todd, crossing my fingers so that you don't encounter any major issues/delays with your crossmember.
I'm not anticipating any delays beyond what's typical as I already have the design geometry worked out in my head and just need to spill it out into the CAD model. The real time constraint on the release is the tooling build time requirements of the supplier and that usually takes 30-45 days to get that ironed out so they are able to produce the design per our print specifications.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info