Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang LS FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, the AJE k member is prolly the best $280 you will spend on your swap. Gives you much needed room for exhaust. I test fit the engine in the car with the v6 crossmember and with the truck intake I would have needed a 5" cowl hoodto make it work.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Honestly, the AJE k member is prolly the best $280 you will spend on your swap. Gives you much needed room for exhaust. I test fit the engine in the car with the v6 crossmember and with the truck intake I would have needed a 5" cowl hoodto make it work.
I know the truck intakes add a lot of height. If a regular LS intake was used, do you think the K member is 100% needed? If there is no way around it, than it will just have to happen. Again, just trying to keep in on the cheap$$
Old 01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 4.6L motor mounts put the engine very high in the engine bay. I replaced the 4.6L mounts with DIY mounts and dropped the engine about 1.8 inches. I could actually drop the motor more than 2", but I have my steering rack relocated upwards by .250" using the MM parts.

Also, dropping the engine more makes my T56 closer to the ground, and it's already the lowest part of my drivetrain.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Teching In

DIY as in Do It Yourself? Sorry I am a N00b to the slang used on forums. I could probably make some. Im just looking for the minimal amount of fabrication as possible. Where I live, my neighbors already hate me haha.

I would LOVE to run a T56 on my car. The car is already a manual. I don't know how they are priced around you guys but the T56 ALONE costs about as much or more than a complete motor, harness, PCM, and all the goodies. I'll probably just run a 4L60 for the time being.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DIY = Do It Yourself. There are pictures in my build thread. Post #8.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rag-strip.html

If you want the minimal amount of fabrication, just buy the AJE k member. Using it there are pre made headers and trans cross member, it's nearly a brainless operation.

And T56s everywhere cost alot, it's not just where you are.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you decide to get the 4L60 and motor as a combo, you may be paying more than what you think for one. If you get one at a "great deal" it might be bad. Do the project one time the way you want it and leave it. Take it from me, I am actually going through a second stage of my S10 project. So go with what you want from the beginning and you will be more satisfied in the end. It may take a little longer for financial reasons, but you will be happy you did it your way.

Good luck with the build and don't tick off the neighbors too bad.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Hard to **** my neighbors off too bad whenever they come to me for all their problems. Cars, washers driers, training wheels on their kids Christmas presents. Hahahaha.

I honestly don't know whether I want a manual or auto. I plan to keep MORE of a street/play car rather than a strictly track car. So the manual appeals to me. But the only way the misses is allowing me to go forward with this is if she can drive it too. She can handle a manual. He'll it was her car to begin with. But I don't want her driving a stick with that much power. She calls the car "fast enough" now with the 3.8 with 189,000 miles.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skbishop1
I honestly don't know whether I want a manual or auto. I plan to keep MORE of a street/play car rather than a strictly track car. So the manual appeals to me. But the only way the misses is allowing me to go forward with this is if she can drive it too. She can handle a manual. He'll it was her car to begin with. But I don't want her driving a stick with that much power. She calls the car "fast enough" now with the 3.8 with 189,000 miles.
My wife immigrated here from Penang Malaysia after we got married while I was working in Penang.

In Malaysia she had a Proton Saga (brand and model) with a 70 hp Mitsubishi engine in it. After I came back to the USA, and she came with me, I had her drive my 400hp GTO with T56, and I daily drove my truck.

She learned to deal it.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by usdmholden
My wife immigrated here from Penang Malaysia after we got married while I was working in Penang.

In Malaysia she had a Proton Saga (brand and model) with a 70 hp Mitsubishi engine in it. After I came back to the USA, and she came with me, I had her drive my 400hp GTO with T56, and I daily drove my truck.

She learned to deal it.
I love my wife. Ill start by saying that. But She couldn't handle it haha. Shes barely coordinated enough to drive a automatic. She immediately thinks she can do anything while driving; changing clothes, texting, facebook, putting make up on, changing shoes!!

Shes the most dangerous individual Ive ever rode with. Haha, we have a rule that if we go ANYWHERE together, I am driving. She lost that privilege after she wrecked my last truck.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

I wanted to go with the t56 but couldn't justify the extra $3000+/-. I wouldn't think of letting my wife drive my Mustang, it's way too traction limited for her. The 5.3 really makes these cars fun to drive. Going to be adding carbon fiber clutch packs and 3.90 gears soon as my posi clutches are shot right now. When you upgrade the rear in your car look for an 8.8" out of a 99-04 GT. Mine is out of a 96 GT and they are about 1.5" narrower so my rear wheels are tucked more than usual. Nothing wider rims with proper offset won't fix.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
I wanted to go with the t56 but couldn't justify the extra $3000+/-. I wouldn't think of letting my wife drive my Mustang, it's way too traction limited for her. The 5.3 really makes these cars fun to drive. Going to be adding carbon fiber clutch packs and 3.90 gears soon as my posi clutches are shot right now. When you upgrade the rear in your car look for an 8.8" out of a 99-04 GT. Mine is out of a 96 GT and they are about 1.5" narrower so my rear wheels are tucked more than usual. Nothing wider rims with proper offset won't fix.
From reading a couple threads on here, I saw that the 99+ is what is needed. I was surprised to find that the car already has 9" cobra replicas on it. I put tires on it not long ago and noticed it. Got decent wheels to start with and get some fat rubber on one day.

Does anyone know if there is a thread on here about deleting the ABS or allowing it to function on these cars with a LS swap? I feel confident about pretty much everything else. I would like to keep ABS if possible.

Quick Reply: Mustang LS FAQ