Sponsored by:

2003 Ls1 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ls1 5.3l

i am new to this forum.

i need some help. i just bought a stripped 2003 LS1 5.3L engine. i need to aquire a intake manifold, and computer w/ wiring harness. can someone help me with some GM part numbers?? also i found a used factory intake manifold from a 2000 5.7 LS1 engine. i have been told that this will fit any gen III LS1, is this true? will it bolt directly on? so i have to do any other mods to it to make it work for my application?

thanks in advance for all you help.

Troy

ps. this is being installed into a 97 jeep wrangler, so needless to say, im starting from scatch.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just an FYI the 5.3L motor is technically not an LS1. The 5.3L is a truck block, but being a Gen III motor an LS1 or LS6 intake will fit. The LS6 intake will flow better, but will cost more. If you are looking for a cheap intake, try an LS1 intake off of a C5. They do not have an EGR provision to have to mess with.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Teching In

99C5JA,

thank you for your help. do you by chance know of the part numbers that i would need? and does the C5 intake just bolt on, to the 5.3L?

thanks again

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
Just an FYI the 5.3L motor is technically not an LS1. The 5.3L is a truck block, but being a Gen III motor an LS1 or LS6 intake will fit. The LS6 intake will flow better, but will cost more. If you are looking for a cheap intake, try an LS1 intake off of a C5. They do not have an EGR provision to have to mess with.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have the part no. for that handy, but its a moot point since they aren't made anymore to my knowledge. Starting in '01 all C5's and F-bodies got the improved LS6 intake. I was just thinking you could probably find one sitting on a shelf somewhere that the owner would part with cheap. Honestly any LS1 intake will work, you will just have to block off the EGR if it has it. If you are looking for the most power you'll want to get an LS6 intake (which is available from about every vendor supporting this board). If you are on a tight budget, find a local F-body club and make friends. They'll probably have plenty of take off parts they'll sell you cheap. Good luck with your build up.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Teching In

99C5JA,

thank you for all your help. i work for ACDelco, and i was thinking they might have these intakes in the warehouse. i get a huge discount on parts, but i have to have the part number available when i order it from work.

can anyone help me with the computer (ECM) and wiring harness?

Thank you,

Troy

Originally Posted by 99C5JA
I don't have the part no. for that handy, but its a moot point since they aren't made anymore to my knowledge. Starting in '01 all C5's and F-bodies got the improved LS6 intake. I was just thinking you could probably find one sitting on a shelf somewhere that the owner would part with cheap. Honestly any LS1 intake will work, you will just have to block off the EGR if it has it. If you are looking for the most power you'll want to get an LS6 intake (which is available from about every vendor supporting this board). If you are on a tight budget, find a local F-body club and make friends. They'll probably have plenty of take off parts they'll sell you cheap. Good luck with your build up.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved this to our Hybrid section, the guys here should be able to help you with the conversion.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regarding the intake, there was an interesting article in the new ChevyHighPerformance. The truck intake may be better for you depending on how you're going to use your Jeep. All Gen III heads are similar enough that any intake will bolt to any set of heads (truck, Camaro, GTO, Corvette).

For the computer & harness, you have a few options. Buy new (truck, Vette, F-body use the same computer, but with different software) or find used. The harness will have to be modified to work "stand-alone". You can talk to Speartech about harness conversions. Another option is a Painless harness but I believe that they only work with '97&'98 PCMs that are harder to find.

Do some searching in the Hybrid section and you should get most of your questions answered.

-Matt

Quick Reply: 2003 Ls1 5.3l