Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best way about dealing with this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way about dealing with this?

Hey guys

I have a weird problem..

I had someone(who does custom wiring harnesses out of his shop) make an modify an LS 5.3 harness for me on my 5.3 swap..

but I didnt know when I sent it to him that the 02 sensor pigtails were cut off..

so he asked me which 02 sensors it would run and I didnt know.. he just put on some pigtail ends he thought would work.

the problem is that the pigtails he put on the harness side are the ends of normal 5.3 02 sensors.. like this.. the one on the far right that has an E under it..

and normal 02 sensors for a 5.3 that connector is on the 02 side..

now this is in my 67 Camaro and I dont know what year exactly the harness is from.. i THINK its from an 02 Tahoe.. but with the 02 ends reversed from any year tahoe which the pigtail like that is on the 02 sensor side.. what should I do?

I have been doing as much research on the subject.. and it SEEMS like he might have thought that the harness is LS1 like so he put the pigtails like that as the LS1 downstream 02 sensors look like a fit...

which are the ones above D

What should I do man.. would it be better to recut the harness and solder on a more common pigtail to match or could I just get the LS1s and roll happy?

the other thing is that I dont have but 2 connections for 02 sensors.. would downstream be okay to go with?.. would they have to be upstream?

please help!!

Ive driven the car a couple times with no 02 sensors and it drove fine but I heard its not a good idea correct?

thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VenomousType
Hey guys

I have a weird problem..

I had someone(who does custom wiring harnesses out of his shop) make an modify an LS 5.3 harness for me on my 5.3 swap..

but I didnt know when I sent it to him that the 02 sensor pigtails were cut off..

so he asked me which 02 sensors it would run and I didnt know.. he just put on some pigtail ends he thought would work.

the problem is that the pigtails he put on the harness side are the ends of normal 5.3 02 sensors.. like this.. the one on the far right that has an E under it..

and normal 02 sensors for a 5.3 that connector is on the 02 side..

now this is in my 67 Camaro and I dont know what year exactly the harness is from.. i THINK its from an 02 Tahoe.. but with the 02 ends reversed from any year tahoe which the pigtail like that is on the 02 sensor side.. what should I do?

I have been doing as much research on the subject.. and it SEEMS like he might have thought that the harness is LS1 like so he put the pigtails like that as the LS1 downstream 02 sensors look like a fit...

which are the ones above D

What should I do man.. would it be better to recut the harness and solder on a more common pigtail to match or could I just get the LS1s and roll happy?

the other thing is that I dont have but 2 connections for 02 sensors.. would downstream be okay to go with?.. would they have to be upstream?

please help!!

Ive driven the car a couple times with no 02 sensors and it drove fine but I heard its not a good idea correct?

thanks for the help guys!

I had the same problem. I'm wanting to say there is an intermediate connector between the harness and the o2 sensor that allows the 2 male connectors to mate. My fix was to get a new 4 wire connector from radio shack and solder it on the harness and o2 sensors.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"My fix was to get a new 4 wire connector from radio shack and solder it on the harness and o2 sensors"

That is what I did but I only have 2 O2 sensors.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

so its better to rewire than use the LS1 set?.. you think the wiring might be backwards to where they wouldnt meetup?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Check out the info http://lt1swap.com/vortec_o2_sensors.htm

It has your o2 info and the pinouts for different o2 sensors
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

just a basic 4 wire connector?

Quick Reply: Whats the best way about dealing with this?