Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 3 Vortec Accessory Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 Vortec Accessory Swap Question

Ok I would just like to start off saying this is my first post in LS1 Tech and I don't know if this needs to be under a hybrid section or something like that, but either way I'm sorry if that's the case.

Here is my question. I am currently planning on swapping a vortec motor into my 1990 Nissan 240sx. My plan is grabbing an LQ4. The only problem is this:

The truck intake manifold and throttle body is too high, so I would have clearance issues. My plan is to go grab an Ls1/Ls6 intake manifold and find a DBC throttle body. My question is will the stock vortec truck fuel rail and injectors fit with an Ls1/Ls6 intake or will I need to find a fuel rail and injectors to match the intake?

My other problem is the accessories. Allegedly the truck accessories sit too far up so the solution is to use GTO, F Body, Corvette, or CTS-V accessories.
- So can you use the truck accessories and just simply rearrange/modify them?
- Do I need different accessory brackets?
- If I use different accessory brackets can I use the vortec accessories?
- Or is there a simple mod to lower whichever high accessory and make it clear the hood?

I am sorry if this is a "noob" question. And please don't reply and tell me to use the search button like on other sites, because I have a million times. Maybe I'm not exactly searching for the right thing, or maybe it's really simple and I'm overthinking it. Either way any info is appreciated.

I am using the truck motor because it is cheap ( 1/2 to 1/3 to 1/4 the price of an aluminum ls motor ) reliable, easy to find, easy power, and the pushrod motors help with low center of gravity. I was hoping to save money buying a vortec motor for under $1k, and cheaply getting an Ls1/Ls6 intake to swap on. But if costly variables like the accessory problem are true then I may just be better off spending the money on an aluminum LS motor.

If anyone by chance does understand what I'm talking about, and all I need is certain brackets and I'll be able to use the same pumps, and pulleys please send me a link to the site or give me clear data on what to do. Because I would love to start this swap soon.

All help, if any, would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thank You - Michael
Old 03-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an LS1 intake on my 5.3 Vortec right now. I was told I would need different fuel rails, but everything seems to line up to me. I have different length fuel injectors than stock, though.

For accessories, you're probably better off just buying the car accessories that you need. Everything is closer to the block. Start with the crank pulley and water pump- those are the 2 critical accessories for belt alignment closer to the block. I picked up a used Camaro crank pulley for $35. Whether to get the water pump new or used is your choice. My truck alternator fits with a shim to get it lined up. I'm not running A/C or power steering, so I can't speak to their alignment. It would be a little more expensive, but if you buy all the accessories from a Camaro (rather than reusing any truck accessories) then you know everything will line up.

Other than that, just make sure that the car accessories you're buying all line up. Obviously everything from an LS1 Camaro is going to line up, but I don't think it lines up with an LS3 Camaro. CTS-V is an oddball, I believe, but again, if you pick up all -V stuff then it should work (although I'm not 100% sure that -V stuff is significantly shorter).
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything having to do with an engine swap belongs in this section. A lot of us also have "build threads" in this section, and we cover more than just engine swaps, going into details about just about every possible category of building a car.

A FlexFuel 5.3 will have injectors that will work on an LS1/LS6 intake. I believe if you have a non-Flexfuel engine, you will need LS1 or LS6 injectors.

As for fuel rails, everything will still line up, no matter what rails you put on there, however the connecting tube between rails arches up over the truck intake (at least all the ones I have seen). If your rails look like that, then they will still be in the way when you are trying to close your hood. You can pick up some LS1/LS6 rails, or you can get some aftermarket rails. On my 5.3 I used the Holley rails, which were like $110 I think, but I needed fittings and some braided line to make the crossover. I also had to use some small bolts as spacers to get the rails properly lined up with the injectors.

You may run into problems with your accessories. If you keep the current setup, your alternator is going to be about as high as the truck intake. Dirty Dingo (and other companies too) sell relocation brackets so you can keep the truck accessories. Also, note that the LS1 intake is lower, and the cable arm for the throttlebody will be in the way of the waterneck. You can "massage" the waterneck with a ball peen hammer, and use a dremel tool on the cable arm to get it to fit though. With an LS6 intake, I have no experience...but I THINK it won't work that way, and you would need to swap out accessories for car accessories. Don't quote me on that though.

Quick Reply: Gen 3 Vortec Accessory Swap Question