Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few question from a new guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014 | 02:57 PM

Default A few question from a new guy

Okay, I'll try not to sound like every other new guy asking whats the best and cheapest way to make 500 hp.

So i'm pretty new at building motors especially to the ls style motors. I have a 1970 c10 short bed 2wd that I'm wanting to drop a ls motor in. I would like to come in around the 450 to 500 mark on horse power.

This truck will just be my little car show weekend driving toy. Wont see the strip or track or anything crazy. I would love to be able to beat a diesle truck or two around town and have plenty of power when I step on the throttle. So basicly just a well reliable motor with the power to back up the look of the truck.

To start i'm triying to decide which motor to build off of. I'm leaning towards an ly6 swapping out the cam and the intake. I dont have a tranny yet so if I went auto I know I would need a stall but I would like to drop a manual tranny in it but for now I would like some help./info deciding between a LQ9 or a ly6. A
Whats some pros and cons and opinions on which motor would fit my build idea best.
Right now i'm look at a budget of $3500 hoping that would cover me for a motor and tranny but if thats all motor i'm okay with it as I can save up and do another step of this project another day.

Thanks in advance.
Justin
Old 03-11-2014 | 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by straightshot
Okay, I'll try not to sound like every other new guy asking whats the best and cheapest way to make 500 hp.

So i'm pretty new at building motors especially to the ls style motors. I have a 1970 c10 short bed 2wd that I'm wanting to drop a ls motor in. I would like to come in around the 450 to 500 mark on horse power.

This truck will just be my little car show weekend driving toy. Wont see the strip or track or anything crazy. I would love to be able to beat a diesle truck or two around town and have plenty of power when I step on the throttle. So basicly just a well reliable motor with the power to back up the look of the truck.

To start i'm triying to decide which motor to build off of. I'm leaning towards an ly6 swapping out the cam and the intake. I dont have a tranny yet so if I went auto I know I would need a stall but I would like to drop a manual tranny in it but for now I would like some help./info deciding between a LQ9 or a ly6. A
Whats some pros and cons and opinions on which motor would fit my build idea best.
Right now i'm look at a budget of $3500 hoping that would cover me for a motor and tranny but if thats all motor i'm okay with it as I can save up and do another step of this project another day.

Thanks in advance.
Justin
6.0, cam, valvetrain upgrade, pp heads and tb, stall and tune..you should be set with that. I've heard the T Rex 2 cam provide incredible hp increases.
Old 03-12-2014 | 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

I have an ly6 in my 68 c10 , there is no need to swap intake manifolds , if you want to do it , it will be only for looks . Mast performance has a 480 hp , and 515 hp ly6 package . For your goals I would get a low mile pullout ,do valvetrain upgrade , that is , cam-phaser-valvesprings , with that , a good cold air intake , and good exhaust , headers , you are at your goal ,the older c10s are one of the easier swaps to do

with a tune , headers , cold air intake , and stock internals you will be close to 425-450 hp anyways , a minimal spring upgrade is suggested

Last edited by ijimmy; 03-12-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-12-2014 | 09:33 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 03-12-2014 | 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Take a look at this build. I bet you could do this on 3500 with a junkyard pullout. And you don't need a 6.0 to do it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-7-5-rear.html

Quick Reply: A few question from a new guy