Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 Nova trans cooler insight...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014 | 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Default '72 Nova trans cooler insight...

If you've got a third gen Nova or 1st Gen f-body, I'm trying to find some pictures of what others have done with your transmission coolers.
I've put a 4l80e in my '72, but I'm struggling deciding what, where, and how to put the cooler in. It will not be low on HP eventually, and the 4l80e is fully built, so I need plenty of cooling.

Pictures or links to your threads are a huge help, thanks.
Old 03-25-2014 | 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Junkyard trans cooler from a 98ish 2500 Suburban. It was the largest one I could find. Looks exactly like the TRANS-Go and B&M coolers. Removed the OEM "retaining clip" fittings and insalled NPT-JIC fittings. I used brake clean and compressed air to clean out any residual crap.Made the cooler to core support hardlines.

Made hardlines to run from the trans to the bracket at the front of the engine. Then softline from the engine to bulkhead fittings in the core support. Where the hardlines run under the starter I did wrap them in heat shield since they are about 1" from the headers. Total investment...maybe $60 and about 10hr of work.

Old 03-25-2014 | 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I pretty much mounted my plate cooler as Cruisin'73 did... I connected the trans and cooler together using Russell SS Teflon Lined Hose and AN fitting, the short hoses was used to connected to 3/8" Stainless Steel Tubing with AN Bungs Silver Soldered on the ends.

Hard lines routed on top of Subframe.

SS Hard Lines and AN ends (bent up and ready to install).

BC
Old 03-25-2014 | 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the pics...

My main issue is that I have an intercooler up front on my core support taking up most of the real estate so a big square cooler probably won't be an option. I think I can get away with a long rectangle one behind the bumper though.
Has anyone had any issues not cooling enough with the cooler mounted somewhere else on the car?
I was thinking the driver's side of the trans under the car is an option since my downpipe isn't routed on that side...
Old 03-25-2014 | 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning on mounting mine on the outside of the passenger side subframe in my 75 and just running the lines over the top of the subframe. should get more than enough air down there.

Quick Reply: '72 Nova trans cooler insight...