Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec 5.7 or 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 5.7 or 5.3?

Hey everybody. Just joined today because I had some questions about a potential swap I'll be trying to do (with a lot of help) this year. I have a 74 k5 blazer that I want to swap a vortec with a 4l60e into. I was thinking about the vortec 5.3 due to budget constraints, but recently someone told me the vortec 5.7 that's found in late 90's tahoes has the same mounting points as the 350 that's in there right now. That could save me a few bucks on mounting brackets, and I can brag about having a few more cubic inches, but they seem to be harder to come by, and harder to find with all the essentials included (ecu, wiring harness, alternator etc.). Can anyone verify that the mounting points are the same? Are they called mounting points (sounded good in my head)? Any arguments for one of those engines over the other? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You will likely only get one answer here and its the best one.Don't waste your time with the 96-99 Vortec,for just a bit more effort go with an LS 5.3 or 6.0.Better availablity,better price,better performance-however,the same can't said for the 4L60E,you are better off with your existing trans or at least a 4L80E.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM

Got it, I'll probably go for the 5.3. What's the deal with 4l60e? I do frequently hear criticism of it, I figured I'd get one built up with a cooler. I won't be towing or crawling or driving long distances. Will the 4l80e mate with the 5.3 or will I need an adaptor? My girlfriend wants me to use a smiley, so
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

You should be able to get a complete 5.3 engine with harness and accessories for less than a $1000. The 80e came in the big box vans and HD trucks so it's stronger than the 60e. The 60e is basically an electronic 700r4, and came in trucks/tahoes with the 5.3. You will only have problems with the 60e if your making more than 400 whp. I recommend buying a rebuilt one vs one from the junkyard since you don't know how long it's been sitting there. I have an 82 c10 and used dirty dingo motor mounts, a 4l60e, and reused my stock driveshaft and transmission mount. Exhaust might be a problem since your truck is 4x4, I used swap header from schoenfeld for the 88-98 trucks but the say 2wd only. If your dead set on the 80e it will work but you need a 6.0 flex plate and spacer.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

The Vortec 5.7 is essentially the same as the old 350s. It will swap right into your truck and bolt to your existing tranny if you want to go cheap. You can even get a carb manifold for it if you want to keep it simple.

Stock for stock, a 5.3 would be a better choice, especially if you want EFI and an electronic transmission. Cost and work will be similar, but the 5.3 is becoming the new 350 as far as parts availability and whatnot are concerned. The 5.3 will run smoother and likely get better economy as well.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 PM

Taking all advice into consideration, I think I've made up my mind. Went to see the guy who'll be doing most of the work while I learn and help. He got a 5.3 mated to a 4l60e with all the goodies from a wrecking yard in Arkansas who I've been in touch with. They test engines before they ship, and they're fairly cheap. I would love to buy a rebuilt 5.3 but I'm on a budget, though next year when I have some more cash I'd like to upgrade the tranny and engine. Or maybe swap the 60e for an 80. I also have to get a transfer case, my 205 needs some tlc. Probably an np241. And dakota digital gages, which look like they cost almost as much as the engine! Going to have to pay for labor, but I'll be doing some of the work under supervision so hopefully that will save me a little bit.

Quick Reply: Vortec 5.7 or 5.3?