Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on taking body off of frame!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on taking body off of frame!

Hey Guys, I have a 57 Chevy Bel-air sedan that was restored awhile back and still in great shape.About a year ago I got the BUG to modify with an LS6 crate engine,Keisler Viper t56,C4 suspension,vintage air. My plans are to make it more enjoyable to drive.Some people think I'm crazy to modify an original car.I estimate around $30,000 to complete without having to paint it,put glass and interior in it. Here is my BIG question: I'm sure everyone seen that Super Chevy article with the 55 that they took the body off the frame using a 4-post lift. This is what I plan on doing to my car,being the paint and everything else is still in good shape. Do you guys THINK this can be done without damaging anything? I've been told that the 55-57's nose is mounted pretty securely where nothing should flex during the lift off process. I plan on keeping the radiator support in the car during lift-off. Of course the front and rear bumpers will come off and all linkages an fuel and brake lines will be disconnected. I plan on ordering my chassis about a year from now from carcreationsinc.com. Opinions please! Ed
Old 05-21-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

yea i dont see why it wouldnt hurt i would jsut make sure to put the lift on something secure and not the middle of the body on sheet metal...theres gotta be somekind of subframe or something otherwise just put some rubber or whatever and lift from the edges...
Old 05-21-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, I didn't see the article so I don't know if or where the lift touches the outer body panels. I would be cautious about supporting the body anywhere except for under the factory support areas. It's going to be very heavy with doors, glass and seats in the car. I used a rotisserie and connected the back from the rear (trunk lid on, bumper off) in the same rear bolt holes used to connect it to frame in the very back. And, since I had the front cap off, I connected the front of the rotisserie under and to the outer firewall to frame braces/mounts. If you can leave the front cap on (radiator support, grill, fender wells,and fenders) and still lift from those areas without touching the body panels, I think you would be safe. I believe the bulk of your weight is going to be under the firewall area.
I would like to know what issue of the magazine the article was in. Good luck, Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My dad used to do this stuff all the time, get 6 guys and lift the body right off.

I would try and support the body with maybe some 2x6 boards where the lift posts are going to contact the frame. That should support the body better.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

I'll look for the Super Chevy's that had the article in it and post.It's the one with the 55 Chevy on the cover with the Art Morrison chassis. Ed
Old 05-23-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Rod and Custom did the same kind of thing with a '57 maybe a year ago.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 57 Bel-air Vette
I'll look for the Super Chevy's that had the article in it and post.It's the one with the 55 Chevy on the cover with the Art Morrison chassis. Ed

Hey there, it sounds like you are getting some sound advice from these guys. Just be sure to go a head and check out www.chevytalk.org

Click on the little yellow '55 to go those forums and select the modified/race/custom message board. These guys have pretty much all done it and can offer some GREAT tips and safety ideas.

Quick Reply: Feedback on taking body off of frame!