Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol @ people in this thread acting like theres never been a highpowered gbody
Old 05-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

I'm following in the footsteps of much ,much faster cars and the guys who did the G body swaps before anyone. I paid a lot of attention to seriously fast guys like John B, Sick Speed and The Merv.

I agree with you though, there are numerous high hp g-bodies out there. I haven't seen any over 1k but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

For some reason I keep hearing about twisting the frame on a launch. That would be fine and dandy but I'm a roll racer. I don't drag at all. I never, ever, have to worry about what my 60ft looks like. Roll racing is a whole different animal.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kawijames
I'm following in the footsteps of much ,much faster cars and the guys who did the G body swaps before anyone. I paid a lot of attention to seriously fast guys like John B, Sick Speed and The Merv.

I agree with you though, there are numerous high hp g-bodies out there. I haven't seen any over 1k but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

For some reason I keep hearing about twisting the frame on a launch. That would be fine and dandy but I'm a roll racer. I don't drag at all. I never, ever, have to worry about what my 60ft looks like. Roll racing is a whole different animal.
What kind of rear end are you going to go with and what are your thoughts on caging it for better rigidity? I don't drag race either but can say it makes a nice difference on the road race track, even with half of your projected HP (500 at the crank)
Old 05-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

The p.o. was nice enough to have already installed an 8.5 before I got the car. Still has 3.73's though.

I'll be completely boxing the frame as well as, using diamond truss style stiffeners to tie everything together. It'll make anything under the car hell to deal with but it gives more rigidity than you can shake an big stick at. Internally I'll be going with an 8 pt. Cage tied through the body to the trusses.

I'm lucky as I never have to deal with tech or sanctioning bodies. Just watching out for the cherries and berries if you follow me.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ndGenLSX
lol @ people in this thread acting like theres never been a highpowered gbody
Shoulda just quoted me as I'm pretty much only one that really said something . But since you want to bring it up, I know of PLENTY high HP gbody cars. But when you start talking 1000hp....yea... Gbody frames are notoriously weak, toss in that kinda power it is not making anything better.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@kawijames How much are they shortening your drive shaft exactly?

You are using 1in setback and 4l60e correct?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Boxchev, The exact is 1240mm center to center. There are differences in the length of 4l60's. Mine is from an 03 silverado ext cab short bed. The length difference is not much of a change. Roughly 3/4-1" between the different versions I've seen. Silverado ext cab vs reg cab vs tahoe vs TB V8 vs Fbody.

1" setbacks, original mounts are about 6mm from stock frame placement (notched). gave me a little extra space between VC and HVAC box.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Shoulda just quoted me as I'm pretty much only one that really said something . But since you want to bring it up, I know of PLENTY high HP gbody cars. But when you start talking 1000hp....yea... Gbody frames are notoriously weak, toss in that kinda power it is not making anything better.
My bad I thought somebody else made a similar comment. Just seemed like you were acting like you can't stiffen up the frame. Name any car from the 80s that can handle 1k hp in stock form? If a guy has the skills to do a swap I assume he has the skills to mod the frame, put a cage in, add arb, etc.

OP I assume you mean you haven't seen any LS powered gbodies make over 1k. If not google Chad Henderson, Dusty Bradford, Shane Stack for some motivation.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

2ngenLSX, you're correct. I personally haven't seen any. After looking up the guys you mentioned, it's nice to know others had the same thought.

I'd love to see what one of those cars could do on a roll, if they could even get traction!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I know a lot of people have their doubts on these cars. I remember back in the day people saying the Supra's couldn't do the same. I also remember the Walser supra breaking 1200rwhp at Colvin.
I watched the same car eat a nitrous powered 'busa on a roll on the 183 upper deck.
All I'm saying is with determination and ingenuity, anything can be done.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Update:

I've got the fuel system completely in and pressurized. Cooling system is complete. Drivetrain is 100% complete. I'll be running the trans cooler lines tomorrow. Only thing I'm waiting on is finishing the harness. Should be firing this coming week. Pics tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Very cool! You started your swap about 6 months after I did and you're about to fire it up? I need to get movin' faster...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

A little motivation for ya! I'm waiting on the coil relo bracket and a few little pieces for the harness. I'm not running full exhaust yet as I'm planning on boost. But yes, I'm ready to hear her fire to life with the new heart. Running the setup I did made life so damn easy it wasn't funny.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Damn I love craigslist! F- Body longtubes for 100.00. Never ran and already clearanced. I'll be running the headers until I finish getting everything together for the boosted side of life.

Good part is, once I go boosted I can turn around and use them on the wifey's Z.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Staging Lane

Harness is finally in, waiting to be able to delete VATS. For the 1.5 seconds she was alive, damn she sounds MEAN!!!

Side note I've got an engineer designing a hotside kit for my exact setup and accessories. If anyone is interested feel free to pm me.

Last edited by kawijames; 08-16-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

thank you EFI Live.

VATS deleted.
new IFR chart.
It lives.

LSX swap complete. Stage 2 begins.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Great write up. Congrats on a job well done. I followed you from the MCSS site.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Once I finally get home stay tuned for part 2. Boost. Lots of it.

Quick Reply: 86 Monte SS 4.8 swap