Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems installing ls7 clutch kit on ls1

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

A note to the original poster, a lot more details would help.
What engine? 5.7 aluminum block LS1? Out of what? Corvette, f body, GTO, etc.
You have a T56, where is it from? Was it bolted to the engine before and worked?
Did you get an LS7, flywheel and clutch?
Details on the throwout bearing.
Which pilot bearing are you using? Good pics above.
There are a lot of incompatibilities that could cause the issue, starter, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, etc.
And if the parts guy actually told you "I needed an extension for my input shaft" don't ask him anything else...ever. There is one combination where that would almost make sense, but there is no such thing as an input shaft extension.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Then ask which isle the metric crescent wrenches are in.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys it a 98 camaro ls1 and I was using the wrong pilot bearing which was replaced and still no go. I have the ls7 slave which tick performance told me would work(but at this point I will change if needed). I actually have no idea which trans I have as the metal tag identifier is missing and i only have tremec casting numbers which no one has info about. I know it is a t56 6 speed just not sure which model car it is from(definitely not corvette tho). I contacted tremec today to enlist their help as well. I have the exedy clutch and flywheel gmk1018 f82058fx if anyone wants to know.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have you tried test fitting the transmission without the clutch?
Old 11-24-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You really need to find out what the trans is from. Just going from memory here, but I'm sure someone will confirm....
You don't know if you have the correct pilot bearing unless you know the trans/bell. GTO, f body T56 use the small inner bearing. CTS-V uses the large outer.
GTO bell will have starter interference issues on an f body LS1.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP, I think I might know what your issue is or shall I say lack of issue. When I went to bolt mine together, it almost seemed like it got hung up about 1/2 inch short. I wiggled and spun the shaft and I couldn't get it to seat just pushing on it. Now granted the engine was hanging in the air and the trans was on a furniture dolly and I was by myself so I couldn't get much force on it. I then decided to walk the bolts in (yeah I know, you are never supposed to do that), paying close attention to the torque required to close the gap. Well doing it this way, the trans easily walked in with minimal torque, so I assume my issue was just the trans going over the dowels. I would give that a shot but be careful.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM

OK guys I actually tried walking the bolts in and broke my bell housing. It is the right transmission and housing I verified this through tremec this morning. The problem is the ls7 slave. I just tried bolting up without the ls7 slave and it bolted right up so apparently you cannot use the ls7 slave on this set up
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man, I hope my advice didn't cause you to do that. When I walked mine it, I literally had no resistance. Sorry if I screwed you.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

That sucks. When I was bolting up a Richmond, Muncie, and T10 to LS motors, I spent hours mocking up, checking dimensions and clearances. And honestly, parts stores/GM dealerships were the worst source.

Originally Posted by 90s13dude
OK guys I actually tried walking the bolts in and broke my bell housing. It is the right transmission and housing I verified this through tremec this morning. The problem is the ls7 slave. I just tried bolting up without the ls7 slave and it bolted right up so apparently you cannot use the ls7 slave on this set up
Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
That sucks. When I was bolting up a Richmond, Muncie, and T10 to LS motors, I spent hours mocking up, checking dimensions and clearances. And honestly, parts stores/GM dealerships were the worst source.
Same here...I always mock up the trans without the clutch so that I can see how things fit together.

If you have a LS7 clutch and a f-body T56, you have to use the LS1 small pilot bearing and the F-body bearing.

Andrew
Old 11-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
Oh man, I hope my advice didn't cause you to do that. When I walked mine it, I literally had no resistance. Sorry if I screwed you.
Hey man no worries. I should have known better. This is my first ls motor and trans so it's a learning process.

Quick Reply: problems installing ls7 clutch kit on ls1