Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapting a gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapting a gauge cluster

Ok here we go. I am trying to adapt a 2000 silverado 2500 hd gauge cluster to a LS swap in a 1981 Chevy C-10. It looks like I will be able to get it to fit snugly into the framing of the c-10's gauge hole. I will have to do some fabrication on the cluster bezel to make it look right in there.

I started the wiring of the 2000 silverado cluster plug. I have it close to being test wired to make sure it will work in the truck. The panel lights work and dim, turn signals work and as far as I can tell the gauge wiring is as it should be from the diagrams and pinouts I have found, but sofar I have not been able to get any of the gauges to show any response to the engine start.

For the gauge section I thought I would need to have the oil pressure sensor signal, Tach signal, VSS signal, and the class 2 serial data all wired up should give my cluster what it needs for it to work. I have attached a picture of my pinout wiring to the gauge cluster. The information I have on the swap is that it is running a 2004 6.0 ECU numbered HDW No. 12580786. The pins for Oil pressure signal and VSS signal were not in the green plug so I put pins in those locations and ran them to the cab of the truck. OBDII plug and Tach signal wires were already ran to the cab.

Does the Transmission Shift select switch signal need to be hooked up and is the MIL control same as the SES light? The pinout chart I used is from http://www.lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm

If anyone could offer some assistance in where I went wrong with this I would very much appreciate the help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
testwiring1981c10.pdf (149.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

The oil pressure signal doesn't come from the PCM, it comes straight from the sender. Also, you need ignition power at A-10, and constant power at A-9. MIL is "malfunction indicator lamp" which is the check engine light, it hooks to the wire coming from the PCM. That said, when you get done, the little window at the bottom of the cluster is going to constantly flash things like security and change engine oil if everything isnt hooked up, which may require the BCM.

Quick Reply: Adapting a gauge cluster