Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to switch SBC to LS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Want to switch SBC to LS3

I want to take the SBC 350 out of my Cobra replica and put in a GMPP 525hp LS3. The car already has a T56 from a 2006 GTO adapted to the SBC bellhousing, so I am just going to use the T56. I have a few questions maybe somebody can answer.

1) Can I use a LS1 bellhousing to mount the MN12 T56 to the LS3? I see a lot of these for sale.
2) I was going to buy the GMPP controller kit. Does this have everything needed to run the engine as far as electronics? (spark, fuel control)
3) Besides exhaust, cooling system, and fuel pump set-up, it there anything big I am missing?

Not sure where to ask these questions as this forum is so huge, I kind of get lost.

Thanks all!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

The transmission you have helps out a lot!

1) You can use an LS1 or an LS2 Bell housing. Just make sure you use a matching starter. If you still have your LS2 bell housing I would use that, and then get a Mitsubishi LS2 starter to match.
2) The GMPP Kit will have everything you need. However, the harness is basically two harnesses, and will need to be mated and then trimmed down quite a bit. This is the biggest complaint about the GMPP harness. Some dont like the really big fuseblock provided either.

We supply a kit that includes everything needed also. Price is the same, fuse block is smaller, installation is more simple, and you wont need to trim anything on our harness.

We use GM color codes, and production tooling. So you will not be sacrificing any quality whatsoever. Our harnesses also has a High Quality Delphi Grommet installed on the harness for the firewall! Here is our commitment to excellence page.

http://www.bp-automotive.com/Commitm...xcellence.html

3) Exhaust, Cooling System, and fuel system is about it. Dont forget, you will need the mounts for the engine. If you choose to go with a harness from us we also have options to add fan relays for cooling fans, you can go with dual single speed fan relays(2 relay setup) or you can go with the Dual two speed fan setup (3 Relay setup like the C5 Corvette.) This takes some of the load off of the alternator when the fans first come on.

I hope this helps!

Bill
BP Automotive
270-805-1777

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks Bill!

Do you need some type of scanner for the GMPP controller/ECU? Their website states it has an LED light for some reason. Does it or your kit have a OBD port or do you even need one?
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM performance package does include an OBD II port. The LED is for the check engine light.

Our kit also includes an OBD II port. To me it is a required item, although there are some companies that supply harnesses without them or charge extra for them.

Just post back up if you have any more questions.

Bill

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Quick Reply: Want to switch SBC to LS3