Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TKO 600 hydraulic setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015 | 08:28 PM
Teching In

Default TKO 600 hydraulic setups

Installing a tko600 trans in a 72 camaro with ls 3 motor and ls7 clutch. Need to know what you guys are using for a hydraulic setup, as in what works the best and from were to purchase. Seems to be a lot of options and would like to do this right the first time. Let me know what your using , thanks
Old 01-28-2015 | 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by UpstateZ28
Installing a tko600 trans in a 72 camaro with ls 3 motor and ls7 clutch. Need to know what you guys are using for a hydraulic setup, as in what works the best and from were to purchase. Seems to be a lot of options and would like to do this right the first time. Let me know what your using , thanks
I used a Quarter Master TOB, MC from Wilwood, and a MC mount from Keisler.

I like the new Tilton 6000 series bearing. Not sure who makes a good bracket for the MC for the 2nd gen f-bodies.

The LS7 clutch doesn't need a whole deal of travel at the fingers to reach full release, .400" is plenty.

Andrew
Old 01-29-2015 | 04:21 PM
Teching In

GatTagO thanks for the response, I am not sure if I want to piece a system together or just buy one from American powertrain hydromax unit for about 600 dollars complete. Does anyone have any experience with this system or perhaps another system that works great that you would recommend ?
Old 01-29-2015 | 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I also like the kit from Hurst Drivelines:

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/?pag...263#eliteimage

They use a nice billet bracket and a common Wilwood MC, which has a lot of travel. It's very similar to the system I am using.

Andrew
Old 01-29-2015 | 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

There is an important piece missing here and it is what bellhousing are you using and have you measured the distance from the outside of the bell face to the tips of the pressure plate fingers (although I'm no expert like Andrew!).
If you happen to use a silver sport trans (formerly keisler) reproduction 621 bell, the distance will be about 3.187"
The silver sport hydraulic kit looks pretty easy to install and appears to use a OEM Ford TOB (I believe). The master has a backing/reinforcement plate and nice thing is it looks like you don't have to disassemble the booster to install. I am about to return this kit after discovering my frontplated t56 has a t5 retainer so it wasn't going to work for me. The folks were very helpful though.
Mcleod makes a 2nd gen firewall kit. You just need to measure correctly to pick the TOB.. its better to call and ask but have your measurement ready. I ended up with this and a 1400-20 TOB for a T5 retainer because my distance was greater than 2.99"

Last edited by ErikSOCAL; 01-30-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-30-2015 | 05:44 PM
Teching In

Ok I called hurst driveline which is were I bought my trans,bellhousing, driveshaft etc. and was quoted 715 dollars for a hydraulic setup although I see it is listed for 685 complete on their website.I will have to call them again and see why I was quoted a higher price,maybe it was shipping cost. Also guess if I choose another system like American powertrain or piece one together I best beware of measurements etc. I seen the system from silver sport trans and not sure I like the bleed line supplied. Maybe the mcleod master and Tilton 6000 bearing would be an option.I have to decide on one I guess, but if anyone has a installed system for a second gen fbody that is proven other then the ones mentioned please let me know. Thanks all
Old 01-30-2015 | 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by UpstateZ28
Ok I called hurst driveline which is were I bought my trans,bellhousing, driveshaft etc. and was quoted 715 dollars for a hydraulic setup although I see it is listed for 685 complete on their website.I will have to call them again and see why I was quoted a higher price,maybe it was shipping cost. Also guess if I choose another system like American powertrain or piece one together I best beware of measurements etc. I seen the system from silver sport trans and not sure I like the bleed line supplied. Maybe the mcleod master and Tilton 6000 bearing would be an option.I have to decide on one I guess, but if anyone has a installed system for a second gen fbody that is proven other then the ones mentioned please let me know. Thanks all
No matter which set-up you choose, you will still have to shim the bearing so it is the proper distance away from the clutch spring fingers. This is a simple procedure, but it must be done with care.

Andrew
Old 01-31-2015 | 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

I asked the same question on the more specific 2nd gen site, nastyz28.com and only got 1 response from someone with experience (installation and driving)!

That person (AlbertaZ28) has the same set up as you LS3/TKO and used and recommended the silver sport kit. That is the direction I started to head until discovering my trans was not what I thought and then it became who could actually supply a TOB.

Most of the kits mentioned here appear to use name brand stuff, you'll have to figure out what's important to you.

Quick Reply: TKO 600 hydraulic setups