Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015 | 12:20 AM

Default Wiring question

So I work at a junkyard, and I can get an M-grade gen III 5.3 for SUPER cheap, but eventually I want to get an AFM engine into a third-gen T/A. If I get the wiring harness from an AFM truck, would I be able to use it with the gen III engine until I can get the engine I want? Obviously I'd need the ECM appropriate for each engine as that engine is being used, but would the wiring harness be adaptable? I also intend to use a fly-by-wire throttle body on each (since that's what the AFM engines need), so I'd need the fly-by-wire pedal, but that's no biggie.

So, in the end, my real question is about the wiring. Would I be able to buy one wiring harness and use it for both engines?

Edit: Just realized that this may be more appropriate in the engine external section. Mods, please feel free to move this there if you feel that's more appropriate.
Old 04-07-2015 | 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ECU's are different so you would need the AFM harness and ECU. You would also have to change the crankshaft reluctor on the gen 3 to the 58 tooth setup along with some other sensors. I'm sure it could be done, but my biggest question is why? Most people want to remove the DOD and VVT from these motors. Drop in the gen III 5.3 and drive it.
Old 04-07-2015 | 04:09 PM

I have two reasons for wanting the AFM, one of which is that I intend to use this car to drive all around the state, and I want to be getting good mileage as I do. The other is exactly the reason you pointed out; everyone is taking this OFF their engines. I wanna be the guy who keeps it working! I love the concept and want to work with it and see what I can get it doing!

Thanks for the info! I'll put it to good use!
Old 04-08-2015 | 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Fyi these engines get about the same gas mileage and burn way less oil without afm. The vvt is a different story. But ditch the afm. Personally I would pick a generation and stick with it. Had this same discussion with a coworker. Too much hassle to mix and match generations.

Quick Reply: Wiring question