Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 into a 73 caprice

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 into a 73 caprice

Hey guys, I've been working on putting a 5.3 from a suburban (04 I believe) into my 1973 caprice. I have it mounted in the car with the oil pan, and trans mounted. I'm new to these swaps so I have a few questions.
1. I'm trying to connect my sunpro mechanical gauges and can't seem to find the correct adapters for the coolant temp and oil pressure. Any ideas?
2. Are there any headers I can buy that will fit/connect to the factory exhaust pipes? I'm trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible so I'd prefer not to take it to an exhaust shop
3. What is the least expensive yet reliable way to do the fuel system, it is still set up for a sbc
4. When I attack the wiring harness is there a list of things I can/can't get rid of?
I know these are a lot of questions, but as I said I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible so I thought I'd ask for options that others have done. Thanks for any input!
Old 11-12-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AutoMeter has adapters, just Google "lsx" adapters. Cheapest fuel system is to find complete fuel setup from bubble Caprice in jy(tank,sending unit,fuel lines,) Corvette filter regulator, AC DELCO EP241 fuel pump. As for the harness, lt1swap.com is your go to. Fbody headers are a sure fit but its going to require you to put vbands on the exh pipes if they still have the exh manifold collectors still in place.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info again, I'm still struggling to find the gauge adapters but i think I'll call summit tomorrow and have them figure out what I need. i figured I'd need to have some welding done on the exhaust but thought I'd check.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can go cheap on both oil and temp sender adaptor. Temp don't need adapter if you drill and tap a hole on water pump. I did it on mine for temp sender and the steam hose line. Oil pressure you can modify the Ls one by cutting/drilling tapping it 1/8 pipe thread tap. Or can on little 2 bolt housing on driver side oil pan drill tap it. If you have 04 engine it will have dbw throttle. Did you get gas pedal/tach box & harness? Wiring is little intimidating but not bad if you keep your cool. I done mine watching tv. Figure out where you want pcm to be first will also help. You may need to add or shorten wires depending pcm location.

Quick Reply: 5.3 into a 73 caprice