Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis reinforcement in 3rd Gen T-top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chassis reinforcement in 3rd Gen T-top?

I've had a couple people mention to me in the last few weeks about reinforcing the chassis on my 89 Formula to prevent the t-tops from "snapping" ??!!??

Apparently, they've heard that 4th gen cars with a 400+ flywheel hp LS1 are twisting the chassis so hard that it breaks at the top.

Is this true?

And, am I going to have this problem with my 3rd Gen? If so, what do I need to do to prevent it? (I'm shooting for 375-400 RW hp when I'm done, so 400+ at the flywheel would definitely be me!!)

Adam
Old 06-12-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Subframe connectors and roll bars are the only ways to stiffen chassis. as far as 400+ horsepower remark is far from the truth. I had a 3500lb 99 super sport that had a little over 400 rwhp with no subframes connectors or roll bar and i had ET streets and would dead hook so im sure the chassis was flexing quite a bit and i never had a problem with my t-tops as far as breaking. I would run frame connectors though, helps out.

Clint
Old 06-12-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are going stealth mode or jsut wanna be slick and super stiffen the chassis there is always seam welding teh car all you do is go through the car inside and underneath adn put 1 inch long stitch welds on all the panel seams. it is also a good way to get some more weight out of the car since you have to remove all taht heavy rubber/foam/whatever the hell it is seam sealer crap taht gm used.
i actually plan to spend some quality time over teh course of summer/winter seam welding my car before i have the roll cage installed. i figure with sub, full cage, and seam welded teh frame on this car will eb good forever, unlike my 91

later
tim
Old 06-14-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, guys.

Subframe connectors are next on the "to buy" list!! I actually got to see a t-top TA that got "twisted" today. NOT PRETTY. Stress fractures along the t-frame, and the firewall was basically ripped apart! The owner said there were no subs on it - but they have put subs on another car and that one has been just fine.

Adam

Quick Reply: Chassis reinforcement in 3rd Gen T-top?