Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e shaft for non-NSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e shaft for non-NSS

I'm planning to delete my neutral safety switch on my 5.3/4l80e swapped 87 Monte Carlo. Once the NSS is deleted I will have a lot of extra shifter shaft sticking out of the case that is no longer needed. I've read about changing the shaft to an earlier, shorter, version from the pre-1997 4l80s. From my research I have found that the shorter shaft is Sonnax 38511-03K.

My question is can this shaft be changed without taking apart the transmission?

I have seen many posts of people asking the question because of a pin that holds the shaft in but no answers as to if they ever did the change and how they did it. I need to know if the shaft can be changed because if it can't I'll need to buy a shifter cable support bracket that is designed for the longer shift shaft.

Thanks,
Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
I'm planning to delete my neutral safety switch on my 5.3/4l80e swapped 87 Monte Carlo. Once the NSS is deleted I will have a lot of extra shifter shaft sticking out of the case that is no longer needed. I've read about changing the shaft to an earlier, shorter, version from the pre-1997 4l80s. From my research I have found that the shorter shaft is Sonnax 38511-03K.

My question is can this shaft be changed without taking apart the transmission?

I have seen many posts of people asking the question because of a pin that holds the shaft in but no answers as to if they ever did the change and how they did it. I need to know if the shaft can be changed because if it can't I'll need to buy a shifter cable support bracket that is designed for the longer shift shaft.

Thanks,
Yes, it can be done merely by dropping the pan.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, I'll pick up that sonnax part and give it a try.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as the trans is not in the car. I haven`t tried it on a 80e in a g-body, but I can tell you that changing the shaft on a 60e in a g-body is a massive pain. The shaft on the 60e slides out of the case and hits the floorpan. I was able to do it with some prying on the floorpan but it might get ugly with the larger trans. Hopefully the 80e hangs low enough for it to clear the pan.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
As long as the trans is not in the car. I haven`t tried it on a 80e in a g-body, but I can tell you that changing the shaft on a 60e in a g-body is a massive pain. The shaft on the 60e slides out of the case and hits the floorpan. I was able to do it with some prying on the floorpan but it might get ugly with the larger trans. Hopefully the 80e hangs low enough for it to clear the pan.
You bring up a good point there that I didn't consider; my answer pertains only to the transmission itself. OP, you may have to drop the tail of the transmission down to allow the shaft to clear the floor of the car as it comes out of the trans.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the warnings, fellas. No worries on the space to work, my engine and trans are being pulled in a few weeks for upgrades so the trans will be out and on a stand when changing the shaft.

Quick Reply: 4l80e shaft for non-NSS