Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM/Harness Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM/Harness Info Needed

Tried this over in PCM/Tuning section without any replies yet, so maybe some of you guys can answer these questions.

So I'm building a turbo 5.3 in an 85 Thunderbird (Project Thunderturd in the FI section). My question regards the MAF and the PCM placement. Should I move the PCM to the passenger compartment? The reason I ask is that I have to extend a LOT of wires if so. If that's the best path, I have no problem doing it, but if it's not necessary then I'd like to avoid doing that much work for almost nothing. If I need to extend, is 18 ga TXL wire equivalent to factory? (I'll be soldering and shrink wrapping the wires together if I go this route. Also, if extending, I would just cut the wire in the middle somewhere and just use black so that the appropriate colors are at the PCM and the connector to avoid buying 30 different rolls of wire.)

Regarding the MAF, since this engine (L59) came with both a MAP and a MAF, would it be alright to just remove the MAF pinouts since I will be using MAP for the FI build? Also I will be disabling the O2 sensors and using HP tuners for a VE tune only, so I don't see why I should leave those in the harness either.

Just a few questions, hopefully this clears things up for me. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the pcm is sealed so u don't need to put inside car. Gm didn't on most anymore.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Default Pcm extension

Originally Posted by 76larkman
so my issue is that igot harness from 2001 chevy 1500 where pcm is on drivers side built harness for stand alone but left it in original configuration. Now im putting 5.3 in 2002 chevy s10 and pcm is on passenger side and there is no room on drivers side. I guess only choice is to extend pcm connection and make it longer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thks
Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 76larkman
my question is a wiring question. I built my own stand alone harness from 2001 chevy 1500. I now have a 2002 chevy s10 to put my 5.3 in and my issue is on the 1500 pcm is on drivers side and on s10 its on passenger side. No room on drivers side. Looks like my only option is to extend wiring at pcm to go on passenger side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thks
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 932 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ralph Huff
my question is a wiring question. I built my own stand alone harness from 2001 chevy 1500. I now have a 2002 chevy s10 to put my 5.3 in and my issue is on the 1500 pcm is on drivers side and on s10 its on passenger side. No room on drivers side. Looks like my only option is to extend wiring at pcm to go on passenger side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thks
Stagger your splice joints. Use either good soldering technique or uninsulated quality butt connectors with a proper crimping tool. Cover with marine grade heat shrink. Use TXL wire.

Andrew

Quick Reply: PCM/Harness Info Needed