Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those using a non computer controlled EVAP canister

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Default For those using a non computer controlled EVAP canister

For those who are using a non computer controlled EVAP canister how are you purging it?
Full time vacuum, or maybe with a restrictor in the hose? Or not at all and just vented to the air? If you vent to the air do you have the fuel smell or does the charcoal still take care of it?
My LS conversion PCM has the EVAP tuned out, but I installed a canister to the vent line of the tank. I hooked up the purge to a temperature controlled vacuum switch but am not sure I want to have a full time vacuum leak on the engine, even at temp. Build is ongoing so I have not street tested it yet.
What are you using?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

My last two trucks, '71 and '72 chevy's, I just used the factory charcoal canister as a fuel tank vent, open to the atmosphere, and I get no gas smell what so ever. The line going from the tank to the canister has a high loop so fuel cant actually get to the canister its self. Been working good for years.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

^ pretty much the same. a rollover type vent to a stock evap canister. anything will work. i like the 80's s10 ones, the bracket is easy to mount anywhere.

it basically just catches the fumes when pushed out with fuel expansion. no fuel smell and less wear on your pump.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I just didnt know if the fumes would stink up the garage if the canister was not getting purged, I will have to try it.
There are so many builds being done I am surprised there are not more responses but maybe nobody is purging them with the engine.

Quick Reply: For those using a non computer controlled EVAP canister