Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are folks using for an air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What are folks using for an air intake?

I'm putting an LS3 in a '61 Chevy Bubbletop. I have the wiring harness which came with a MAB and adpater. Now I need to find an intake system that I cvan mount it into.

I suspect Street and Performance has something, but before I just go blindly get something there, I'd like to look around.

The MAF I have is a 5 pin, and it is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Most apparently extends down inside the tube.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like the Hitachi card style MAF, I used a Treadstone MAPHH3 for my setup using that MAF sensor. They have a number of styles dependent on what you need. Spectre and Airraid also have MAF tubes with the Spectre at least having calibration sleeves to help with tip in stumble.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MorePSI
... Spectre and Airraid also have MAF tubes with the Spectre at least having calibration sleeves to help with tip in stumble.
I hadn't heard about the 'tip in stumble'. Not experiencing that on my LS1.

Is this a common problem? Do you kow if the calibration sleeves actually help? If that's the case, then I suppose someone should lean toward to Spectre unit.

I took a look at those at Street and Performance. They look nice...and quite expensive. Then don't have the calibration sleeves.

What Air cleaners are available for the Spectre? I suppose I could call a vendor and inquire.

One thing that I need to be cognizant of is how much clearance between the throttle body and radiator is needed for specific units. That could be a limiting factor for me. ATM my core support and radiator are not on the frame, so I can't measure now, but I believe the clearance is maybe around 8".
Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Spectre has about everything you would need for your intake system. Another great site for aluminum tube and couplers/bends is Silicone Intakes. They sell everything you could need as well.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/
Old 04-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Intake system

On my conversion (07 5.3 into 48 Chevy pickup) I had 5 1/2 inches between radiator and intake opening. Spectre had every thing including the cone filter. Calling Spectre was no help, they kept trying to tell me what I needed. So I became very familiar with their on line catalog and ordered every thing from Sumitt. Had to return several things to Sumitt because I ordered wrong size. Sumitt has a great return policy. Overall I had my system completed in 8 days.

Quick Reply: What are folks using for an air intake?