Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fittings

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fittings

Engine is running and just about all the little things are done. The last thing I need to tackle is getting the upper radiator hose and the intake pipe to fit in the same area which means the basic molded radiator hoses are not much of an option. Things are quite tight with the alternator and belt in the same area as well.

Name:  20160316_174710.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  778.8 KB

Shameless video plug sans exhaust while we test fuel pump relay wiring.

For the radiator hose and 4" intake pipe to fit, ideally I have 90-degree elbows on the radiator and water pump attached to a flexible radiator hose that I can route around the intake pipe.

I purchased one of the magnacool flexible stainless hoses with their 90-degree elbows.

Name:  61oAP8D9q3L._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  41PpeVuSTSL.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  18.4 KB

It took all of 5 seconds before I sent those back. For advertised as a solution for tight routing hoses, the connectors and the elbows themselves are freaking massive and made more space problems than they solved...plus the plastic covers felt and looked cheap as hell.

I'm hoping you might be able to help me find a better solution. I can't seem to find any true 90 degree rubber elbows that I can plumb a flexible pipe into. I see silicon is an option, but reading around, it seems those don't seal well, and are rather porous to coolant leading to large loss to evaporation over time.

I have found a site that sells steel radiator couplers in a 90 degree bend so I could theoretically weld that onto the water pump outlet, but that doesn't solve my radiator inlet issues, which is plastic. I also struggle to find anything in the 1 3/8" OD size.

I have also seen pictures of some LS swap jobs that are using tiny diameter coolant hoses similar in looks to hydraulic hose? What's up with those?

Any help is appreciated.
--J
Old 04-14-2016, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

It can be a real pain in the ***, but you should be able to find a hose from your local parts store. You will have to ask if you can browse their hoses to find the right one. If you still can't fine one then you can look for a good hose that fits each end the way you like and put a coupler between them.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is a little hard to see, but I used 90 degree silicon elbows (ebay about $8 each) with the steel corrugated hose. No leaks after more than a year.

Name:  IMG_0273_zpsvizjzogx.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  2.16 MB

Quick Reply: Radiator fittings