Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Competition Rock Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016 | 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Default LS Competition Rock Crawler

Since I got rid of my FB, I now have no build thread, so what the hell I will shift some things over to here.

Chassis:
Custom Made by myself to tech into either Pro-Mod or Unlimited. 1.5x3x.120 Rectangular Chassis, 1.75x.120 DOM Sub Chassis, 1.5x.120 DOM A-B Pillar, Bracing 1.5x.095 DOM, Interior Tubing, 1x.0625 DOM

Motor:
2004 LQ4
Harness custom by me
Torquer V2 Cam, Chromoly Pushrods, Dual Valve Springs, Ti Retainers
LS2 Timing, HV Pump, Kevko Pan
42# Injectors, Mallory Regulator, Aeromotive Rails, Mallory Pump
Stupid LFE MAF, Stupid 95mm TB
Mail Order Tune that stalls
1 7/8 Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, Moroso Race Mufflers

Transmission:
TH-400 by local guru, doesn't work like it should

Transfer Case:
Atlas II 4.3 Pure Bling

Front Axle:
Dana 60, 5.13s, Detroit, 300M Shafts & U-Joint

Rear Axle:
14 Bolt, 5.13s, Detroit, Discs

Other:
39" Red Label Krawlers, Aluminum Beadlocks, Full Hydraulic 50 Degree Steering, PSC CBR Pump, Cutting Brakes, Wilwood Braking, Corbeau Seats, Harnesses, Air Shocks, 1410 Rear Driveshaft Shortened from a 2.5 Ton Military Truck, Front 2 Piece 1410 from a 2.5 Ton Military Truck, Forged Yokes, Etc

Still to do:
Retune so it idles
Redo Transmission - Again
Move Cooler to Back
Move radiator back for better flow, flip rear winch around to the other side
Redo Intake (Replace MAF? and TB?)
Beadlocks & Tires
Front Winch
Car Trailer

Current State:
Mock up tires and rims

My previous buggy - Cherokee Based. After well over a dozen hard rolls, finally decided to start fresh after this back flip onto concrete. It worked great on the trails, made a lot of high dollar buggies look stupid, and never placed less than 2nd in the comps.

Last edited by Won-Ton; 04-20-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2016 | 01:55 PM
On The Tree

I will fix the order later on

Old 04-19-2016 | 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Love these things

Howe Cooler with a fan to be added later

Ls2 Timing and such

Paint came out good

Starting to do the removable dash

Measuring for two piece, was going to use the Toyota stuff again, but was able to do it cheaper and stronger with 1410s all around. Shown with my mockup TH400

2.75 Extreme Race Series PSC Hydraulic Steering

Griffin Radiator & Spal Fan in

Last edited by Won-Ton; 04-19-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2016 | 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Fawkin hell

Pretty easy to wire I must say

38 Fun Country, 39 Black Label, 39 KR2S
Old 04-19-2016 | 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Looks great WonTon. I like square for lower links, but why on the uppers? I assume you are on PBB with this thing? I stick to offroadfabnet because it's a smaller group of small-shop fabricators and you don't need a flame suit.
Old 04-20-2016 | 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Thanks man! Yeah will be 4 years in about 6 days. The links are all leftover from my Cherokee build, so cost savings, but I did shorten them a substantial amount...and I originally got the square tubing for a smoking deal, but as you can see they still bend.

I am on PBB, but I don't post this thing on there since my fab skills are not flame retardant hahaha.
Old 04-20-2016 | 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

PBB is a hell of a place. Lots of great info and projects on there, but it doesn't come without awful harassment. You also have to be very wary of people propagating false information (true of any forum really). I spent way too much time on that forum in the mid 2000s and came away burnt. But some of my thread remain like my tube bender and 4Runner builds.

I know how it is to have projects go long. Plans change a lot along the way too. But it looks like it'll be a nice rig when you get it done - just gotta finisher her out!
Old 04-20-2016 | 02:18 PM
On The Tree

Small world! I have viewed that thread many of times, I used to be the VP of Northeast Toyota Crawlers and your build came up many times especially in the exo design threads. Congrats on the cancer beating too.

I take very little information from off road forums, just for that reason. My design and information comes from either what I learned from my previous build or watching what works or doesn't work on other people's rigs. This build my priority was visibility and keeping it compact, which I almost regret now because of how tight everything is.

Thanks, I hope to finish one of these days hahaha.

And yes it fits, and yes the bell housing touch each side and the adapter touches as well hahaha.
Old 04-20-2016 | 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Boy it is a small world! Thanks for the congrats - I'm coming up on 10 years in October.

What all do you have left to do? I know that checklist can be a mile long sometimes.
Old 04-20-2016 | 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Won-Ton

I am on PBB, but I don't post this thing on there since my fab skills are not flame retardant hahaha.
Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
PBB is a hell of a place. Lots of great info and projects on there, but it doesn't come without awful harassment. I spent way too much time on that forum in the mid 2000s and came away burnt. But some of my thread remain like my tube bender and 4Runner builds.

Nice build Won Ton...nice to see a couple more PBB converts over her also...Bandit...I'm sure I visited your thread "back in the day" also. You summed it up perfectly above...
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Thanks! Since they sold it in 2012, it became a lot more tame, but the volume of posting just isn't there. Maybe it is just me, but I just don't see the same level of knowledge there either.

Quick Reply: LS Competition Rock Crawler