Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E39 guys come on in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default E39 guys come on in!

So it looks like I'm going to be putting my Iron LS2/LS3 in a E39 instead of putting it in place of the Ford 5.0L in my "soon to be for sale" E28. The swap vehicle is a 2000 528i in pretty good shape. Pics of the car are coming soon but in the meantime I've got a few questions.

Oil pan: I understand that because the original engine is a inline 6, that subframe requires a rear sump pan. Is it possible to use a Gen 4 truck pan (L92/L96) without it hanging too low? If not, which aluminum pan would be best?

Motor mounts: In looking at the beautiful mounts offered by "JesusFreak" they look very similar to those that came on the 04-06 GTO and I have a set of those already. Has anyone tried using the GTO aluminum stands with the original BMW isolators?

Instrument cluster: I've read that the cluster has to be re-coded to accept an analog tach signal and I've also seen that folks have switched back to a 1997 cluster. Which method is better? I plan on using the BMW sensors for water & oil, do the signals go direct to the cluster or does the DME or CAN buss come into play?

Fueling: Looks like the Vette filter regulator can go in place of the BMW combination valve underneath the car, correct? How about the fuel pump? Can a Walbro 255 fit in place of the factory?

Lastly, I would greatly appreciate the list of pitfalls, "oh crap" and "should have" learning experiences.

Thanks in advance for any information you all can provide!

S.F.

Last edited by StolenFox; 05-03-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StolenFox
... I've got a few questions.
Post here.

Tipsy
Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the truck pan hangs insanely low in my mustang
Old 05-06-2016, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Post here.

Tipsy
This. You will get far more responses there.

Truck pan hangs too low, try a rear sump camaro pan. Some folks have also cut the bottom off a truck pan and rewelded it to be shorter, but I don't know if you lose any baffling with that setup.

I don't think anyone has tried GTO stands, you should be the first!

Your 2000 528i will be looking for CAN signals for RPM and coolant temp, so you will need to code it over to analog. That's far easier IMHO than swapping a cluster, which will then have incorrect mileage anyhow.

Use a C5 Vette FPR, stock fuel pump should work, I think some folks have retrofitted Walbros in E39s.

See my sig for build thread. I used an 8 cylinder chassis which has different oil pan and engine mount arrangement, but otherwise a good resource.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
This. You will get far more responses there.

Truck pan hangs too low, try a rear sump camaro pan. Some folks have also cut the bottom off a truck pan and rewelded it to be shorter, but I don't know if you lose any baffling with that setup.

I don't think anyone has tried GTO stands, you should be the first!

Your 2000 528i will be looking for CAN signals for RPM and coolant temp, so you will need to code it over to analog. That's far easier IMHO than swapping a cluster, which will then have incorrect mileage anyhow.

Use a C5 Vette FPR, stock fuel pump should work, I think some folks have retrofitted Walbros in E39s.

See my sig for build thread. I used an 8 cylinder chassis which has different oil pan and engine mount arrangement, but otherwise a good resource.
Thank you sir!

S.F.

Quick Reply: E39 guys come on in!