Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevette LS1 Swap, overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Jack up the front of the car to get the radiator inlet as high as possible. Than pull one of the steam vents at the front of the motor as you fill the radiator. Keep going until water comes out of the vent, then put the vent back in.
That will get all the air out. I pop one of the vents everytime I fill or drain the system.

You also know pulling the thermostat will open the water pump bypass. This makes the water just circulate inside the pump and not go through the block. Never run an LS without a thermostat.
^^^This....

Andrew
Old 08-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, i bought a 2000 ls1 shortblock, 799 heads, finished the build and put it all back into the car. I took pictures of everything (sensors, connections etc) before removing the old engine. Everything appears correct. It will not start now though, it backfires a little when cranking and visible gas fumes come out the intake. I have a little obd display but it does not show any present fault codes. Crank and cam sensors are both installed, i aligned the cam and crank sprockets dot to dot. I also pulled a plug and it is getting spark, fuel pump is functioning. Any obvious things you guys can think of?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

I must also mention that I had what I thought was a ground on the starter (picture i took was misleading on removal) which was actually the sensor grounds and I had a power wire hooked to the block (looked like a chassis ground) which caused some sparking when hooking up the battery. These issues are now fixed. Probably not related but thought i'd mention it.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by elliss12
I must also mention that I had what I thought was a ground on the starter (picture i took was misleading on removal) which was actually the sensor grounds and I had a power wire hooked to the block (looked like a chassis ground) which caused some sparking when hooking up the battery. These issues are now fixed. Probably not related but thought i'd mention it.
It's possible you knocked out the ecu when that happened. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

That crossed my mind too. My obd display can read all the engine vitals and im getting spark. Could it still have fried it? Its like the timing is off but I dont know how it could be with everything hooked up.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Pop N Wood- That method might just work, its only lower by an inch or two. I'll try that once I put it back together. I did not know that at all, that would explain why only the engine was getting warm. Thanks for all the help!

Update: Got heads pulled, i'll mention so maybe you guys can make sense out of whats going on here. The passenger head is ported while the other head is untouched. Also #7 cylinder has a new std. piston and cylinder has a long gouge. I dont see any cracks in the head or block yet. Using a straight edge they seem flat so far. I will verify with feeler gauges though. Any of you guys see anything obvious?

The new guy, std. bore

left bank

8&6

4&2

Right bank head

Left bank head

ahhh that piston isn't new.....lol.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

At first I thought it was just bake cleaned from the coolant but it was in fact a new piston. Luckily I only have about $1000 total into the new ls1 shortblock and ls6 top end. Just need to get it running!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where on the starter do you have these grounds attached?
Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Crank sensor wheels have the same number of teeth old to new?
Old 08-30-2016, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

The sensor grounds are no longer on the starter, I fixed the wiring issues. Theyre now grounded on the back of the head.

I didn't check but I believe all LS1's have 24 tooth wheels.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

I decided to do a compression check, i'm getting 35psi on the two cylinders I checked with throttle wide open. My guess is the 799 heads were milled at some point and now my intake and exhaust valves are sticking open because the pushrod is too long causing the backfire. Anyone else have any thoughts? Its late otherwise Id be working on it more, just something to think about at work tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I decided to do a compression check, i'm getting 35psi on the two cylinders I checked with throttle wide open. My guess is the 799 heads were milled at some point and now my intake and exhaust valves are sticking open because the pushrod is too long causing the backfire. Anyone else have any thoughts? Its late otherwise Id be working on it more, just something to think about at work tomorrow.
if that was the cause it wouldn't be limited to two cylinders.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Exactly, I was just saying I only measured two cylinders and both had 35psi compression . I didnt see the point in doing all if there was clearly a problem.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exactly, I was just saying I only measured two cylinders and both had 35psi compression . I didnt see the point in doing all if there was clearly a problem.
smh.

do all of them.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the point where (if it was my project) I'd probably say '**** IT' & slap a used 5.3 in it. Even if I had to pay for a different tune, it would be quicker (& probably cheaper) than trying to repair the current engine.

And I'm pretty confident that the OP will never miss the 20-odd cubic inch difference between the two engines in that tiny little chassis...
Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

I honestly am getting nervous about cranking over this engine anymore since it was not prelubed, has not started yet, and potentially could have a PTV issue. I will do a leakdown test with the rockers backed off to figure for sure what is happening.

This engine that is in it has what look to be new bearings and is very clean, id much rather run this than a heavier smaller displacement 5.3 (although it would work fine). I don't think this will end up being an issue with the shortblock and rings if that's what youre thinking. I'm leaning more towards open valves due to wrong pushrods or jumped cam timing due to the intake backfiring but we will see.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I honestly am getting nervous about cranking over this engine anymore since it was not prelubed, has not started yet, and potentially could have a PTV issue. I will do a leakdown test with the rockers backed off to figure for sure what is happening.

This engine that is in it has what look to be new bearings and is very clean, id much rather run this than a heavier smaller displacement 5.3 (although it would work fine). I don't think this will end up being an issue with the shortblock and rings if that's what youre thinking. I'm leaning more towards open valves due to wrong pushrods or jumped cam timing due to the intake backfiring but we will see.
If you went with an 5.3 L33 you would be getting a Gen V aluminum engine with the good heads, etc. Just an FYI. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

That's true, I just happened to find a good appearing ls1 shortblock for $400 locally. At the time I planned on re-using the heads until i found out how beat up the valve seats were (home porting gone wrong). The L33 is still a little new and doesnt pop up too often in my area.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you dont have the leads to the coil packs harness backwards side to side?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I went over those and all the injectors several times and everything is plugged in exactly how it was. This thread has jumped around a lot but I'm getting low compression and backfiring which sounds to me like valves sticking open.

Quick Reply: Chevette LS1 Swap, overheating