best ls1 hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
How about this one?
http://www.v8s10s.com/id2.html

I am a S10 V8 guy myself, so I am not impartial. Although, mine is not a LS1. May not be the best handling, but you can get a S10 below 3000 lbs pretty easy.
Only problem with a truck is weight distribution , its kinda all up front .
I vote the FD LS1 swap , but Im partial myself . Im Running 12.25 1/4 on a stock LS1 with the 4l60e , stock headers etc. Some pics here . https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...12#post1903812
Old 10-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

LS1 RX7 just sounds mean...but what do I know
Old 10-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Teching In

The Rx7 is definatly the way to go. I just put an LS1 in an 89. You get a light weight car, GREAT handling and insane power. (4.11 rear end in the rx-7) I still get 25-28 mpg on the highway. the swap was fairly easy to (except for electrical) Almost no body/frame modifications to the car! Its insanely fast too!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say the RX7 and Datsun are about equal depending on exactly what you want.

The Datsun has more heritage, and will feel more like a real sports car. You'll feel the road in it. The cars are fairly cheap if you are planning on building it up. The suspension possibilities are ENDLESS. The aftermarket for them may be old, but it is HUGE!!! They are small, so they would work very well for autocrossing (cone races) as well as open track. They leave plenty of room to work on the motor also (except for the annoying front opening hood ).

The RX7 just plain looks alot newer, and will definatly feel newer. Less road feel, but more comfy ride. A little more expensive for the body, but a little cheaper on what it will probably need. Once again, the same benifits of a small car, but I think the motor would be a little tighter, and harder to work on.

They're both equal, but very different animals.

Personally, Datsun all the way.

EDIT: As far as V-8 S-10s go, they are awesome, and alot of fun. Not the best for a track vehicle, but can be set up for straight line pretty easily. They are NOT good for an LS1 though. Not enough options for headers (yet). There are few out there, and most are EXPENSIVE. Any other V-8 is great though. With that said, LS1 really isn't a good motor at all for a cheap swap. It's just not a cheap motor. I personally prefer LT1, but I am biased

Last edited by chevy42083; 10-28-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the old 1970s Datsun has anywhere near the chassis or suspension that the 3rd Gen RX-7 does. It's pretty old school hardware.

I'd think it would be easier to get better larger tires under the RX than the old Datsuns.

Originally Posted by chevy42083
I would say the RX7 and Datsun are about equal depending on exactly what you want.

The Datsun has more heritage, and will feel more like a real sports car. You'll feel the road in it. The cars are fairly cheap if you are planning on building it up. The suspension possibilities are ENDLESS. The aftermarket for them may be old, but it is HUGE!!! They are small, so they would work very well for autocrossing (cone races) as well as open track. They leave plenty of room to work on the motor also (except for the annoying front opening hood ).

The RX7 just plain looks alot newer, and will definatly feel newer. Less road feel, but more comfy ride. A little more expensive for the body, but a little cheaper on what it will probably need. Once again, the same benifits of a small car, but I think the motor would be a little tighter, and harder to work on.

They're both equal, but very different animals.

Personally, Datsun all the way.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well the LS1 in the fd is not actually that tight and hard to work on , changing plugs is easy , and the guys change camshafts with the motor in the car. Im with Irondonut , the suspension is way advanced , car handles extremely well . IMHO its the best car for a ls1 , looks awesome , lighter than most , gets HUGE amounts of attention on the street and at car shows. I guess when you compare the Datsun to the RX7 its like comparing a Sports Car to a Super Car. But I am overly Biased myself
Old 10-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Chop-Foo Director

I think the RX-7 would be the best option, BUT, have you looked at prices on these cars? Ever since the Fast and the Furious, the prices have skyrocketed. Definately not a good choice if you are thinking cheap, unless you can find one that needs work.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PendragonZ
I think the RX-7 would be the best option, BUT, have you looked at prices on these cars? Ever since the Fast and the Furious, the prices have skyrocketed. Definately not a good choice if you are thinking cheap, unless you can find one that needs work.
They can still be had for a fair price, if you want to buy a car with 25k original miles on it expect to pay about 20k , I bought mine from a local rinky dink car lot, an auto FD with 90k miles on it , good body and ran well for $5500 , sold the motor and tranny to a kid in Texas for $1200 . So I only had $4300 in a good rolling chassis. Heres what it looked like when I got it.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Not bad at all! Very nice looking car. Most of the stuff I've seen though is around 15k, in this area. Granted, everything is more expensive here Once I can get a house with a garage, I plan on doing an LS1-RX7 swap. Those are badass little cars, and even a stock LS1 will make them fly.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Launching!

I have 2 LS1 swap cars.

1972 Datsun 240z LS1/4l60e 405RWHP 11.1@125mph

1993 RX7 LS1/t56 410RWHP 11.8@123mph I took it easy of the line.

My 240z handles alot better than the RX7, but I did alot of work to the 240z. Out of the box the RX7 handles alot better than the 240z.

The RX7 is a very smooth car, driveability is very good.

My datsun drives nice, but it feals more like a kit car, not as refined as the RX7.

My only complaint about the RX7 is the lack of head room, the Datsun 240z has alot more room inside.

Overall the RX7 is alot better car than the 240z. If you can not make up your mind then just build both.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Just out of curiousity...someone was mentioning kit cars before and that if you built one, it would be registered in the year you first inspected it. I would agree with that. But what if you bought an old car and ripped the tags out, and used those tags for the kit car and said you revised the body and installed a different engine? I don't know who's gonna look at it...I know that when I register my car, they never actually see it. So, why couldn't you buy an old beat up Fiero or something and say that your new kit car is based on the old Fiero(using the Fiero VIN)? That way you're only responsible for passing mid-80s emission levels, not 2004+...
Old 11-22-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem in some states (like California) the VIN has to be verified in most cases, I had to haul my 1935 Ford over to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles (on my trailer) to be inspected and verified before they would issue paperwork on it. They didn't care if it had an LS-1 in it or not (too old to be smogged), they just wanted to verify the ID number.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a LS1/T56 in a early RWD Maxda GLC would be awesome

I have seen one with a twin turbo 13b swap that was awesome! Why not a LS1?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Can't get lighter than this.

Must have measured wrong. Won't fit !
Attached Thumbnails best ls1 hybrid-im000340.jpg  
Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mini Cooper? Cool. How about putting it in the back seat and driving the rear wheels?
Old 11-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 77ZETA
First of all hello everyone!

I think any of the Datsun Z are good cars for an ls1 swap.
I have this in mind,Working on the whole car first.
Here are some pics so u ca look at a simple Z.
You can go to hybridz.org as someone mentioned to see way better than this one.
But i wanted to stay with the datsun Curves.

what body mods have you done to that? really clean. i like it. my friend is considering buying a datsun and doing the 350 swap (not sure if he will do an LS1 or not tho). what front bumper, spolier and wheels are those?

its nice even without the LS1

do you have any more pics?
or any pics of those "way better" Z's

Last edited by Stert; 11-27-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTONE
What about a Mitsibishi Eclipse or a Stealth,sporty looks and nice interior,should be cheap to find??They"re fwd so you"d have to install a rear axle,but it woul be killer!!!
I've got an Eclipse sitting out back...I have been doing some measureing and stuff, I think that it would work. I've got a little bit of Home Improvement work to do this year, but next year I might start looking at the Eclipse project a little more seriously.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

what about the pontiac fiero?

they are lightweight cars, i would the weight distribution would be pretty good since they are mid/rear mounted engines.

wouldnt take very much power to get these things moving.

what do you guys think about the fiero vs datsun z car

i think the datsun looks better with a widebody kit....have you seen one with a widebody kit with the huge fender flares? looks pretty good. actually thinking of selling my first gen camaro to build a ls1 datsun.....but the fiero is looking tempting too
Old 11-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mzoomora
How about this one?
http://www.v8s10s.com/id2.html

I am a S10 V8 guy myself, so I am not impartial. Although, mine is not a LS1. May not be the best handling, but you can get a S10 below 3000 lbs pretty easy.

One thing i'm kind of worried about myself, but i'll figure something out. I vote RX-7, reasons are listed by other people before me, especially if you want somehting that handles awesome.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Nissan 240sx - a.k.a Silvia in Japan

Quick Reply: best ls1 hybrid