Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 sitting for 8 years... Pull heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 sitting for 8 years... Pull heads?

I purchased my running LS2 (actually a complete 06 GTO) almost 8 years ago and have done a TON of work to my car (70 Chevelle) with the engine just sitting between the framerails. Lots of welding, and grinding has been done to the cowl, firewall, frame, etc, and although I was smart enough to put a cover on the TB opening, I was not so smart to cover up the exhaust ports... I just noticed that I have a lot of dust (regular dust, and grinding dust) inside the exhaust ports on the heads on my engine. I'm sure at least one of the exhaust valves is open even a little, and I'm wondering how worried I should be about any dust that may have found it's way into the Cylinder(s)... I'm hoping to fire this back up this fall, and am trying to plan if I need to budget for new head bolts (studs) and head gaskets....

a Friend mentioned that I should just pull the spark plug, and use compressed air to clean out any dust that may have gotten in there.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Old 05-26-2017, 05:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hate to say it but I would pull the heads. Dust is one thing but grinding dust is sandpaper. Don't forget to clean the valve stems

Quick Reply: LS2 sitting for 8 years... Pull heads?