Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 silverado with a l83

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 89 silverado with a l83

I started this swap a while back but there wasnt any parts available yet. So I called Dirty dingo last week and Tony said they now have the brackets available to move the alternator, a/c compressor and hang a power steering pump on the front of the engine.

He said to use a 2006 water pump from a corvette. Wow 250 bucks on amazon. I did find a few for 140 or so. I know you get what you pay for but has anyone had bad luck with the cheap pumps?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frige
I started this swap a while back but there wasnt any parts available yet. So I called Dirty dingo last week and Tony said they now have the brackets available to move the alternator, a/c compressor and hang a power steering pump on the front of the engine.

He said to use a 2006 water pump from a corvette. Wow 250 bucks on amazon. I did find a few for 140 or so. I know you get what you pay for but has anyone had bad luck with the cheap pumps?
I have only used AC Delco water pumps and I have been able to find them for $100 or so on eBay and Amazon. I am currently using an LS3 water pump. The top radiator hose comes out on the driver side and I used a '10+ Camaro radiator hose. GM should have done this in the beginning instead of running a 4' hose across the fan shroud.
What harmonic balancer are you using? If it's a truck crank pulley, it's not going to line up with the water pump.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Yes its a truck engine. Tony has a spacer to line the pump up so it should be good. I will look for the ac delco.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frige
Yes its a truck engine. Tony has a spacer to line the pump up so it should be good. I will look for the ac delco.
I could be wrong but I believe the ls2 water pump you're looking for may be the same as an Ls3. I would ask if you can use one that's more popular and cheaper.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a second option- ICT billet makes a bracket to put a power steering pump on the passenger side, and retain the rest of your original accessories (part number 551368). It keeps that goofy looking offset water pump, but you get to avoid the expense of a new pump. and I can vouch for its fitment.

89 silverado with a l83-xbe3mhf.jpg
Old 10-04-2017, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

I called Ict billet and they do have some things but not the whole kit just yet. So I went with Dirty Dingo. I ordered the kit that will move the ac compressor, mount a power steering pump, and relocate the alternator. It has spacers for a ls water pump and includes the motor mounts and a new ac compressor.

So when it comes in I will have some work to do.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

That ICT setup is CLEAN! Looks better than OEM!

Quick Reply: 89 silverado with a l83