Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap 3rd gen

I plan on doing a 5.3 swap in my 88 Camaro and was wondering if just run a cowl hood would I still have to run a different intake and would it clear the alternator. TIA
Old 10-23-2017, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Intake and Alternator

I swapped an S10 using a GEN III 5.3. Having said that, I know what you mean about hood clearance. On the Gen 3 Camaro, hood line will be a little shorter than my Dime. Look into the TBSS intake. Fairly reasonable on ebay, just be sure to get a complete unit. Otherwise, LS1/LS6 intake will be low enough to fit.

For the alternator, I have to assume that you are going with truck serp system to run the accessories. So, run the small body 4.3 V-6 ALT. It will bolt directly to the truck mounting location. I will however require a different belt (shorter).

One other item might be the Power Steering pump. My S10 required the smaller pulley to clear the steering box. The S-series and G body run the same front cradle. The F body may allow for the truck accessories to run without hitting the top of the steering box. Be sure to check prior to just dropping everything in. Mean Yellow Z/ RP Turbo on this board, is a good source to ask 3rd gen questions too.

This should get everything under a stock hood on your Camaro!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Alternative to the truck accessories, look at Dirty Dingo and CPP.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap 3rd gen