Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting LS1 on a stand without water?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Starting LS1 on a stand without water?

Hello everyone;
There are a lot of YouTube videos of people starting LS1's on a stands without water/coolant of any kind. I understand if the motor is not ran for more than a couple minutes no cooling for the cylinder heads may no do any damage. However how about the water pump seal? Two micro-polished surfaces rubbing together without any lube or coolant. Doesnt seem like a good idea to me. Is this going to be harmful to the pump seal?
Would love to have opinions/experience on issue.
Thanks
Rick
Old 12-31-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

There IS a solution. Don't run the water pump. Take the belt off.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

^^^ Yep, I always take the belt off so the power steering pump isnt turned either.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:43 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I start mine on a stand all of the time without a belt on the water pump. Just don't let it run for more than a minute or so at a time.

I usually fill the block through the top of the water pump and then let it slowly drain out through the holes in the thermostat. The water in the block absorbs a good bit of heat.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point, must have been drinking when I asked the question.

LOL
Old 01-01-2018, 01:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Papermachtech
However how about the water pump seal? Two micro-polished surfaces rubbing together without any lube or coolant.
I don't run any pump dry certainly not a power steering pump but I will add this, Water pumps use a sealed bearing so they are not lubed by coolant so running one shouldn't cause any problem at all, I don't see how it would be any different than sealed wheel bearings/axle bearings/supercharger bearings and so on, The seal is there to keep water/dirt out and the grease in.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I don't run any pump dry certainly not a power steering pump but I will add this, Water pumps use a sealed bearing so they are not lubed by coolant so running one shouldn't cause any problem at all, I don't see how it would be any different than sealed wheel bearings/axle bearings/supercharger bearings and so on, The seal is there to keep water/dirt out and the grease in.
The bearing isn't the problem. It's the water seal that keeps the pump from leaking. They have two micro polished surfaces that should not be running dry. This picture is one similar to it.
Attached Thumbnails Starting LS1 on a stand without water?-water-seal.jpg  

Quick Reply: Starting LS1 on a stand without water?