Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 5.3 idle issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Turbo 5.3 idle issue.

My setup is a 67 chevelle with a forged 5.3, 80mm turbo, Siemens Deka 80# injectors, 102mm cable driven TB, stock pcm with stock harness that I reworked, dual electric fans, th400 10” TC, 3.25 gears. I have to fuel pressure reg set to 40psi at idle.

Today, finally got my driveshaft delivered and installed it. I was able to drive the car today which was nice after months of building...

I am having issues with the idle. Seems like when the engine is warmed up, it idled okay. Doesn’t surge... but when I put it under load (ie in reverse or 1st gear) the rpms start to dive and it chokes and dies.. I literally have to hold the throttle a little to keep it from dying or I have to stab the throttle fast. I can hear the TB open (the air sucking sound) and the engine dies for a second and I’m able to gas it to keep it from dying.

When im cruising it’s fine. Coming to a stop it’s fine. Everyone once in a while my wideband goes to - - - (like its super lean).

I had my local tuner shop flash the Pcm to remove VATS and also get it pretty close to what I need to break in the motor.

I will contact them to see if they can help me out as well.

thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Is it a cheap 102mm throttle?

That sucking sound is probably the IAC. The hole in those for the IAC is so small that it can't react fast enough to save a falling idle.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The0nlyon3
My setup is a 67 chevelle with a forged 5.3, 80mm turbo, Siemens Deka 80# injectors, 102mm cable driven TB, stock pcm with stock harness that I reworked, dual electric fans, th400 10” TC, 3.25 gears. I have to fuel pressure reg set to 40psi at idle.

Today, finally got my driveshaft delivered and installed it. I was able to drive the car today which was nice after months of building...

I am having issues with the idle. Seems like when the engine is warmed up, it idled okay. Doesn’t surge... but when I put it under load (ie in reverse or 1st gear) the rpms start to dive and it chokes and dies.. I literally have to hold the throttle a little to keep it from dying or I have to stab the throttle fast. I can hear the TB open (the air sucking sound) and the engine dies for a second and I’m able to gas it to keep it from dying.

When im cruising it’s fine. Coming to a stop it’s fine. Everyone once in a while my wideband goes to - - - (like its super lean).

I had my local tuner shop flash the Pcm to remove VATS and also get it pretty close to what I need to break in the motor.

I will contact them to see if they can help me out as well.

thanks
Fuel pressure regulator should be set to 58 psi

Is your regulator boost referenced? If so, unplug the vacuum line to it (plug up the hole to avoid high idle), let the vehicle idle and adjust to 58 psi then re-install vacuum line.

If it isn't boost referenced, just adjust to 58 psi

Unless you are boost referenced and 40 psi is where it is under vacuum load, but I'm not sure what the psi would show at idle if you have it set to 58 psi

Also, are you running a MAF? If so, make sure the MAF is between the BOV and the throttle body. If BOV is between the throttle body and MAF, you're gonna have a bad time

Another thing - you said the tuner 'got it close' so you could break it in, if fuel pressure regulator WASN'T set to 58 psi when he did this, this may have some side effects

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 04-18-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
Fuel pressure regulator should be set to 58 psi

Is your regulator boost referenced? If so, unplug the vacuum line to it (plug up the hole to avoid high idle), let the vehicle idle and adjust to 58 psi then re-install vacuum line.

If it isn't boost referenced, just adjust to 58 psi

Unless you are boost referenced and 40 psi is where it is under vacuum load, but I'm not sure what the psi would show at idle if you have it set to 58 psi

Also, are you running a MAF? If so, make sure the MAF is between the BOV and the throttle body. If BOV is between the throttle body and MAF, you're gonna have a bad time

Another thing - you said the tuner 'got it close' so you could break it in, if fuel pressure regulator WASN'T set to 58 psi when he did this, this may have some side effects
It is boost referenced. Okay I will give that a try. Maybe that’s why I’m having issues.. and it’s speed density tuned. My tuner only had the pcm when he flashed it. He didn’t have to car.

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Is it a cheap 102mm throttle?

That sucking sound is probably the IAC. The hole in those for the IAC is so small that it can't react fast enough to save a falling idle.
i would assume so. The iac is not AC Delco... I went through this with the tps.tried to use an off brand one, it either read 0% Or 100%. There was no in between.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

TXjeepTJ has it for the win. Hopefully that will fix it.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Adjusted it to 58 and I didn’t haven’t have to feather the gas to get it to run! But the moment was short lived... I ran outa gas!