Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racetronix Bulkhead Kit: Delphi sender

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018 | 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Racetronix Bulkhead Kit: Delphi sender

For the purpose of my swap, this pertains to installing a Racetronix pump and wiring kit into the gas tank of a 1994 Caprice.

I purchased the racetronix bulkhead wiring kit (from the fuel pump to the bottom of the top plate of the sending unit housing). I cannot access the directions because I must await being approved by the Racetronix forum in order to receive them. I also purchased a new Delphi sending unit. The wires going to the sender are different on the Delphi vrs the original. The Delphi has no connectors and all the wires are riveted on the sender. This makes a difference because the new wiring kit has connectors on it that look as though they would plug into the original style sender.

I'm curious if Delphi sent the correct unit. I see no other way to adapt the wires to the new sending unit other than to cut and solder them because the wires coming off the Delphi unit are much smaller than what was provided in the new Racetronix kit and splicing them seems like it would be a bad idea. The Ractronix harness also has some connectors which I am unsure where they go, put I hope this is answered when I gain access to their forum. Can anyone shed some light on this? Pictures below. The Delphi unit is on the left.

Here is a picture of the new wiring kit from Racetronix. Note the purple wire has a connector on it that seems like it would attach to the original style sending unit. I'm not sure where the black wire with the ring connector would go? The kit also has an extra, thick black wire with a ring connector on one end and a connector on the other end that looks like the one on the purple wire below.

Also, this tab appears as though it could be for a ground, but I am not sure. The original sending unit from the Caprice didn't have this.

Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by Vetteman61; 07-04-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2018 | 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someone pointed me to a thread on the ImpalaSSforum. Here's some more information I have so far if it may help someone in the future.

It appears as though Racetronix may have upgraded this kit since the last post on this thread. It looks as though they have removed the ground blade style connector and replaced it with a ring connector, however they left the purple sending unit blade connector. I have the Delphi unit picture below. I just got these items (Delphi assembly and Racetronix harnesses and pump).

This is very useful info and thank you very much for posting it. I have yet to be confirmed on the Racetronix forum so I do not yet have access to the instructions. When I first looked at this today I was very confused. I'd like to ask some questions to see if you agree with where I believe everything should go.
  1. I believe points E & C in the picture below (rivets) should be drilled out and replaced with the screws mentioned above. Both must be drilled out so that the sender unit may be removed.
  2. Connector 1 should be attached to point E.
  3. Connector 2 should either be cut off and the wire extended or replaced completely and soldered to point D. Another option would be to remove the Connector 2 purple wire completely and install the blue wire from point D in the wiring connector from the Racetronix harness.
  4. The kit came with the wire I labeled as Unknown Wire. I cannot find out where this should go. I see that the new Delphi unit has a blade connector (Connector A in the picture. My best guess is that the unknown wire would connect to Connector A and then be attached as a ground to either point E or C.
  5. The kit also came with something that looks like cement glue and also a small tube of silicon lubricant. Where would these items be used?

Old 07-05-2018 | 03:20 AM
Launching!

What i do with stuff like this is un pin the connectors and recrimp new terminals on for matching set of connectors that work. I made sure ii have extra assortment of different GM Delphi and Packard Elec connectors and terminals with the crimpers (several diff sets) this way i can make my own connections. This way theres no cuts, no splices.
Old 07-05-2018 | 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Join our support forum for info.
If you have questions post them there.
Tnx.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-05-2018 | 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

you telling me they sell you something but wont provide instructions?
Old 07-05-2018 | 07:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 79LS1FOX
you telling me they sell you something but wont provide instructions?
He has an aftermarket hanger which has a different wiring configuration / requirements.
This customer will get all the help he requires.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Quick Reply: Racetronix Bulkhead Kit: Delphi sender