Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018 | 12:35 AM
Teching In

Default Is this the one?

Hey folks, I'm looking to swap a LY6/6L80 into my 68 Chevrolet Suburban, but I need to source the combo from somewhere. I've got my eye on one, but want to get feedback as this will be my first attempt at an LS swap. Here are the details:

LY6 w/2wd 6L80 trans
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (was a street sweeper, not a normal P/U)
150k miles
involved in a rollover accident

Is this worth buying? Too many miles? What would be a fair price? Any non-negotiable repairs before the swap? Anything I'm not thinking of? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've also attached a video of it running here:
Old 09-08-2018 | 03:59 AM
Launching!

My local yard would charge you probably 1250 to 1500 just for that 6.0. Thatll give ya an idea. 150k sounds like alot but these motors do last a long time. I have a 5.3 I took apart and it looked basically brand new. The bearings had hardly any wear on them. I was told it had somewhere around 150k.

I always try to get the seller to throw out a price and go from there. If you're thinking like 2k max and he wants 5k then it's just easier to tell him to have a good day and walk away.
Old 09-08-2018 | 01:53 PM
Launching!

HOW in the **** do you roll a street sweeper??!?

Regarding the mileage, it's not unheard of for LS engines with that mileage to still show the cross-hatching in the cylinder bores - it just depends on how it's been maintained. I don't think that you told us the price they're asking for that combo (or if you did, my eyes skipped over it), but I can tell you that I've seen plenty of worse candidates for a swap...
Old 09-08-2018 | 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Driving in MAXIMUM STUPIDITY mode....
Old 09-09-2018 | 01:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel

Regarding the mileage, it's not unheard of for LS engines with that mileage to still show the cross-hatching in the cylinder bores - it just depends on how it's been maintained. I don't think that you told us the price they're asking for that combo (or if you did, my eyes skipped over it), but I can tell you that I've seen plenty of worse candidates for a swap...
I've been scratching my head about that too - my favorite explanation is that this engine is so strong the street sweeper couldn't contain it

Thanks for the info on the condition. I've gotten positive feedback from enough folks to feel comfortable making a deal on this engine. What is your experience on price with a swap in this condition? 6.0 with 6L80? Seems like I should be about to get it for around $2500?

Also, what kind of service do folks recommend before installing it? Fresh fluids are obvious. Should I swap coils, injectors, gaskets or anything else?
Old 09-09-2018 | 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

The shortblock on that engine should be in excellent shape IF it was maintained well and not abused much. Mainly for peace of mind, you might want to change the oil pump and timing chain. Those parts CAN see some wear at 150K. And of course all gaskets, etc. involved with changing those parts. Coils should be OK, and maybe get the injectors checked out.
Old 09-09-2018 | 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ajgriffin
I've been scratching my head about that too - my favorite explanation is that this engine is so strong the street sweeper couldn't contain it
Yeah, that's gotta be it! After thinking about it a bit though, I guess it could've happened through a combination of inattention + a pretty good slope off the side of the road... Who knows...

Originally Posted by ajgriffin
What is your experience on price with a swap in this condition? 6.0 with 6L80? Seems like I should be about to get it for around $2500?
Based on what I've seen in this forum, there can be a lot of regional variation - I'd suggest checking similar items on sites like this one, just to get a good idea of what's out there/for how much. But personally, if I got a 6.0L + 6L80 for $2500, I'd be wearing a grin that you wouldn't be able to wipe off with a belt sander!!!