Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 swap for ls2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018 | 08:30 PM
Teching In

Default 1972 swap for ls2

I currently have a 1972 Camaro with the original 350 sbc. It was rebuilt with a mild cam, but still lacks the power I had hoped for. I swapped the tranny for a t56 out of a 95 camaro lt1. I JUST had it completely rebuilt so the trans is brand new. I’ve got a line on a brand new ls2 completely assembled for around $2500. I know that with this swap I will need to change my bellhousing and input shaft from my transmission, as well as quite a few other goodies to make the ls fit correctly. My questions:

i shortened my driveshaft for the t56 to mount to my sbc, will I need to make more adjustments with the ls?
same question about the shifter location in the car?

How much extra am I looking at spending to make this work (exhaust, mounts/crossmember, etc)

When I rebuilt the car, I did a complete re-wire, Will this cause me problems with the engine (how will the ecm need to be wired)?

reason for asking all of this, I’m trying to decide whether to go ls or throw a blower on my current sbc (which I fear may cause its death anyway).

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2018 | 12:56 PM
Launching!

LS's are great but you have to be willing to do some work to get the swap done. Everything is readily available but its not quite as easy for the average Joe as everyone seems to make it out to be.

To give you a rough ballpark estimate, I would say you would need an additional $1,500 to $2,000 after its all said and done to complete the swap. But that really all depends on how crafty you are. A new fuel system is pricey for the fuel injection, motor mounts, possible accessory drive, headers, etc. LS swaps will nickel and dime you. Your wiring harness will be fine, but you will now need to figure out how to make your old wiring harness work with the LS's wiring harness. The LS essentially needs its own auxiliary harness and fuse panel.

The great thing is everything has already been done and all you need to do is use the search function for the most part on this forum to find builds that people have already completed. Scroll through those and that will give you a good idea of what you are in for. LT1swap is a great place for wiring help.

Really, if all you are looking for is more power then rebuild your 350. A 350 can just as easily put a smile on your face as an LS can and with less of a hassle at this point.