Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How NOT to do a swap in an S10

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019 | 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast
10 Year Member

Default How NOT to do a swap in an S10

Today, a '99 S10 pulled into the lot at work. I could tell by the way that it sounded that it either A) Was not running correctly, or 2) didn't have the original engine, or both.

It was there for an alignment, and once I got in on the rack, I proceeded to check it out. It had an LS swap (It was a 5.3 with 799 heads, unknown cam), and at first I was excited, but as I looked closer, my excitement turned to disgust.
This was a total hack job.

It looks okay from the outset, but check out the driver's side exhaust manifold:

WOW. Not how I would have done things, but let's look further. Here's how it was mounted in the vehicle:

Here's the main reason why I call this a "hack" job: The notch for the crossmember. (As a disclaimer, I cut the crossmember in a similar fashion on my 3rd generation F-body swap, but I boxed the cut in with 1/8" steel. )

Here's the kicker: This engine doesn't have any oxygen sensors. None.

Also, the fuel pump and fans come on whenever the key is on, even though an LS PCM is capable of controlling both.

I test drove the truck after the alignment, and it was running like total ****.

The owner of the truck bought it about a month ago, and supposedly it was built by Jason Cantu of Brownsville, TX. I hope he didn't pay too much for it.

There are a lot of LS swaps in my area (Rio Grande Valley), but most of them are like this.
Old 04-13-2019 | 06:29 PM
Teching In

Default No way.

Oh my god. That chassis-block ground is amazing 😂😂😂😂. Dude used a chain ahaha. I can't . I'm not even mad, this is hilarious.