Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GenV/8L90 into a JKU

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GenV/8L90 into a JKU

Apparently the way I am going with my swap is completely different that what everyone else has done. Most seem to just buy the Motech kit and call it good. It's 7k and I still have my ugly dash, but I guess being able to keep the BCM side of things is nice..

I have a 2011 Jeep Rubicon and I want to set in a 2016 L83 with a 4wd 8L90. I was thinking of using my 4:1 transfer case but I hear that it's probably going to be too deep in gearing in low gear. I also want to do this via stand alone harness and wire the jeep as simple as possible. Again, this is apparently something not a lot of people with so I am kind of venturing out on my own with this, which is awesome since I hate wiring.

EDIT: I will not be going the original route I was planning with a stand alone system.
The main issue I was finding is how to utilize my stock AC system in the dash as a stand alone unit. A smarter person may know, but from what I've seen, it hasn't happened yet and the cost started rising since the aftermarket units weren't an over the counter order. Figured 1K and done but, naw..

That said, I called up Motech and ordered their bolt in engine and trans mounts. Got with Jon over at RPM and they are sending me a harness that will work everything as factory, plus some tcase adapters, shifters PS bracket and hoses for fuel and AC.

After pricing everything in on options, the stand alone was going to be almost just as expensive as the Motech kit, which both still need exhaust. Motech didn't want to sell me their harness saying it is interconnected with their system, but Jon at RPM would. Jon doesn't have a builder's kit so to speak, but we went through what I needed and didn't need or was going to outsource somewhere else.

So now, this thread is going to be more of a write up for those who want details on if it's something they can do themselves vs having a shop or cool tools. Something I would've liked to have had.

Last edited by Blown Budget; 01-19-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I researched putting the LT1/8L90E into my LJ, but I settled on the older L99/6L80E instead. You are correct, there is a ton of research to be done for this swap. When I tried to talk to Motech they basically refused to sell me individual parts for a swap into my LJ since they really only do JKs.(This may have changed since a year ago.)

So I guess you are building more of a dedicated off road machine? That seems like a lot of extra work with the interior changes for a drive train swap.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Teching In

It's a partial DD. We have another vehicle and my company gives me a personal truck.

I got a Rubicon with the idea that after a lift and a few things here and there, I wouldnt have to do anything to it. I have a. habit of tinkering. But now, were I to do it again, I would get a 4 door sport...

The interior change is more geared to the fact that I'm not a fan of it, as a well as trying to add aftermarket guages to it is going to make the over all look fairly tacky. Looking at the GenRights rig, it all looks pretty cool. I'll likely wrap it to match the rest of the interior but I'm just not a fan of these plastic dashes. My YJs and TJs were all adapted to a CJ set up.

Mostly with having to set up everything as a stand alone system, itll be easier with a new dash. The GenRight kit is 2k though, so Im weighing the option of getting that or going ahead and bust out the fiberglass and doing something of my own. I also dont like having the jeep everyone else has. Even a v8 swap and tons is a common theme.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

We tuned (didnt build) a new jeep with 2016 DI 5.3 with a 6l80 in it. The customer did the swap himself and everything worked like factory. He did purchase a harness from somewhere but I do not remember where.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:56 PM
Teching In

He probably got the kit from Motech or RPM. I don't feel like spending 8 grand on a harness, one reason why Im going the stand alone way. Also may end up just keeping the current dash as well and just swap out the cluster.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown Budget
He probably got the kit from Motech or RPM. I don't feel like spending 8 grand on a harness, one reason why Im going the stand alone way. Also may end up just keeping the current dash as well and just swap out the cluster.
For my Gen IV I used the Camaro wiring harness that came with the drive train, cut two connectors(fuse block and communication) off, and hooked up the wires to their appropriate locations. I also wired in the BCM to keep factory functionality.(Which was a lot more work, but not required for Gen IV.)

I assume you could do similar for Gen V. Standalone wiring harnesses are around $1,000 so the cost factor is how well you work with wires and the amount of time you wish to save. I spent about 80 hours adapting to the factory Jeep wiring harnesses.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Replied with pics about 2 days ago but apparently they need to be approved?
Old 12-13-2019, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Welp, had to edit the original plan.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Parts started to come in. Picked up the Motech bolt in brackets for the motor and trans.
The trans mount is a generic style (Anchor 2638), and the stock mount would work and has more mounted surface area. This specific mount ranges from $5-$20. What's also included in the kit are the hard rubber motor mounts (EM-3149) which I hear would suck if DOD is still active. Luckily, I am deleting that out of the ECU so no worries.

What also comes in the kit is the transmission bracket, engine side motor mount brackets, bolt on frame side brackets, with a small brace for both left right frame brackets. I don't think the bolt on kit will allow you to use the stock hydraulic mounts, at least from what I am seeing, so you may have to stick with weld on brackets if you want to use those mounts.

Biggest flaw in this is that there is no parts list telling me what I should have. The trans bracket I've seen was a two piece, so ill see what Motech has to say. The bracket I saw was on a 2014 jeep, and the mounting holes were different, so hopefully I got everything. You also don't get an instructions manual, but installing these shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I also picked up a truck style gas pedal, and a 2012+ power steering pump. I still waiting on some other things from RPMextreme, but he has to build the engine harness. That'll give me enough time to get over the sticker shock of the JKU fan.

Quick Reply: GenV/8L90 into a JKU