Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 6 Engine Trans Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 6 Engine Trans Swap

Hello, new member first post. Long time Corvette owner and builder C3 and C4's. I am currently planning on building an 88 C4 for a dedicated Auto Cross Road Race car. I bought a $700 car thats in pretty good shape but missing the Engine-Trans. I just returned from vacation in Maui where I had a Gen 6 V6 Camaro with 600 miles. When the wife went shopping I went driving and I really got to like the 8 speed Trans and paddle shifting with RPM matching. Not sure how GM was able to able to make a V6 sound like a V12 but that was a perk to. Push button parking brake ? Not sure how that is working but I would like to think it might be the answer to big brake updates to older cars with no easy means of using a parking brake.
Ok so I see there is no shortage of donor cars people are still buying new Camaros and selling them back to there insurance company's in short order. I would go with an SS for the V8 sure I would love to have the ZL-1 to swap but everybody else does to. So I understand that the direct injection engines are more difficult as the aftermarket ECMs aren't there yet. I also understand that the late factory ECMs are getting harder to crack. So its easy to just use an earlier engine that's been swapped many times. But I want the new Trans that has engine braking and RPM matching. I'm not concerned about physically installing the swap, I'm a fabricator and I have a well equipped shop. I'm much more concerned about the electronics. So the interweb doesn't have a lot of info on the trans or the swap. What do You know ?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

The trans doesn't engine brake so much as employ an aggressive lockup converter.

Quick Reply: Gen 6 Engine Trans Swap